Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suggestions for making it easier to move the rear bench?

T

thinruthers

Can anyone offer advice or a solution for making it easier to move the Cali 2 seater rear bench forwards and backwards to make the bed? I am going to lend my van to elderly friend who struggles to move it by herself (and can't make it into the roof bed).

Cheers
Andrew

I never had an issue , but you need to sit on the seat while moving it....do you do it this way ?

Welcome on your first post btw.

You could extend the lever(or make a clip on handle) to make it easier, that way you can sit on it and scoot it forward.

Try something like a bike inner tube cut to length so she can put her hand through and grip the tube. Then hook it over the lever once she’s pulled it out a little. She’s then pulling with her hand not her fingers.

However remember the adage: Never a lender or a borrower be!

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I my experience "problems" can occur when you unintended lift the seat while moving it.
1. Sit on the seat while moving
2. Feet on the floor
3. While sitting and moving the seat tends to lift, avoid that by pushing it downwards when sitting
Should be fine.

Yep - sit on it, with your weight towards the front. Then "walk" backwards of forwards. The old VW campers referred to this as a "rock 'n' roll" bed, which rather suggests this has always been a problem!

The old "rock 'n' roll" beds are fixed to the floor. There are no rails for it to move along. The unit neither moves forwards nor backwards. The rock and roll refers to rocking the lower seat forward then rolling the back to lie flat. I have a '65 VW SO-42 with such a bed

This is a problem that I have and was hoping for an easy solution. I'll try the silicon spray on the runners but the inner tube handle doesn't sound like much help to me. Pushing it back it easier cos I brace my feet against the back of the front seat, it's getting it forward that's the problem - and yes, I do sit on it to move it. Seems to me part of the problem is because the lever is one side - it could do with a handle nearer to the other side.

Hi as everyone is saying use a bit of silicon on the runners but rather than making something to hold the release handle up is you look at the side of the seat from the outside of the vehicle there is a 8mm hole in the plastic trim just back from the handle if you get a long 6 mm Allen key and with the handle pulled out push the key fully into the hole( long end ) it will lock the seat handle up and allow free movement of the seat without holding onto the release catch then remove the key once the seat is in a forward position and it will all lock into place.

Hi as everyone is saying use a bit of silicon on the runners but rather than making something to hold the release handle up is you look at the side of the seat from the outside of the vehicle there is a 8mm hole in the plastic trim just back from the handle if you get a long 6 mm Allen key and with the handle pulled out push the key fully into the hole( long end ) it will lock the seat handle up and allow free movement of the seat without holding onto the release catch then remove the key once the seat is in a forward position and it will all lock into place.

Wow! I didn't know that. I'd wondered what the hole was for. I'm going to try that now:thanks

Wow! I didn't know that. I'd wondered what the hole was for. I'm going to try that now:thanks

No problem here to help

The shaft of a Phillips or pozi drive screwdriver work the same a Allen key just allows for more movement of the seat

OMG! This works. They'll need to ensure the bench is further forward than hitting the rear floor channel stops else they won't be able to insert the screw driver,/ allen key in far enough

This is a problem that I have and was hoping for an easy solution. I'll try the silicon spray on the runners but the inner tube handle doesn't sound like much help to me. Pushing it back it easier cos I brace my feet against the back of the front seat, it's getting it forward that's the problem - and yes, I do sit on it to move it. Seems to me part of the problem is because the lever is one side - it could do with a handle nearer to the other side.
What floor covering do you have? We carpeted our van from the front to the boot with a special carpet designed for the Cali, with all the appropriate slots and holes etc. There were three qualities and we bought the mid range. Big mistake, it was too fluffy and made moving the seat very difficult. The smart specially designed carpet has now gone and replaced with two small Wilkinson carpets in front of the rear seat.
Big benefit we can move the seat much more easily! Expensive lesson though.

It's really so you can lift the seat out, if you have a crane handy;)

Try to sit in the middle of the seat if possible then it won't jam up so easily on the tracks. And I'd be wary of spraying the tracks as it could make a sticky mess which will gather dust and grit.

What floor covering do you have? We carpeted our van from the front to the boot with a special carpet designed for the Cali, with all the appropriate slots and holes etc. There were three qualities and we bought the mid range. Big mistake, it was too fluffy and made moving the seat very difficult. The smart specially designed carpet has now gone and replaced with two small Wilkinson carpets in front of the rear seat.
Big benefit we can move the seat much more easily! Expensive lesson though.
We have done similar, two cheap thin rubber backed carpet mats from Costco. Move forward before sliding the bed forward. Has the advantage when in place they cover the aluminium floor rails stopping damage and crud getting in the slots.

Original Poster doesn't seem to have been back to the Forum since their 1 and only Post.

Why bother asking if you are not prepared to check for answers etc:.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Back