Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear door gas strut question

Don't get me started on this one,although its a different issue but related to the gas struts....my tailgate is un-usable with even just the bare bike rack on (VW one),have been since new...

I cant use the tailgate for fear of it cashing down on me..

I have to pack the van accordingly..
Almost 3 years ago and on the last day of the warranty we took our van in to have the leisure batteries checked as they weren’t holding a charge, when the guy was taking the battery out of the rear the rear door came down and hit him on the head. They replaced both the struts under warranty at the same time..Ours was doing exactly the same thing as yours but we didn’t really think about it..It was worse in the cold weather and ok in the summertime..It’s perfect now and stays up winter and summer. They may have replaced them with a more heavy duty strut.

Yes I have the 1250N struts,I think once they are checked at the next service they should be replaced as they are quite obviously faulty (if they can replicate the issue,thats the worry that in a warm workshop they will be fine) I had a VW Sharan for 15 years previous to the California,that had a large heavy tailgate and never had an issue with temperature changes etc.
Perhaps try making short video when it happens at your home to evidence the problem to the dealer?

Our Cali (2018 T6) was in for its first service recently and I asked for a check to be done on the rear door gas struts as they don't fully lift open the door, it needs a shove up to open the last few inches. I was told this is normal as the rear door is meant to open to about 45 degrees to allow easy access to the chair storage - final opening being a manual shove up. Seems a bit odd to me - the rear door gets opened not just to remove the chairs and I've been unable to find any reference to the limited opening in the handbook. Any feedback on how far other Cali owners rear door opens under strut power would be appreciated, please.
My 2005 Cali - and as described in the owner's manual - opens easily to a 45 degree angle and the requires a slow steady push tp get up to the fully open 90 degree position.

Mine are the same and have definitely degraded in the year I have owned the vehicle. Are yours genuine VW items or are they marked with another manufacturer? My is 2018 model year as well.

The California comes with the uprated Gas struts and they should each be marked 1250N. This is to cope with the heavier tailgate, chairs, blind and double glazing.
I’m confused now: I just looked at my new T6.1 and it came with 1200n markings on the struts. See picture.
When scrolling through the forum, i came across different values: 1200, 1250, 1270... Did something change for the T6.1?

Should I be concerned when I fit the bike rack? I added the original VW rack as an accessory from the seller afterwards, it was not included in the production order. The car is also fitted with double glazing, already adding extra weight...

thanks in advance!
(Sorry for reopening an older thread)

31DAAF3A-73F4-49CD-9DA3-748B0C75E662.jpeg

I’m confused now: I just looked at my new T6.1 and it came with 1200n markings on the struts. See picture.
When scrolling through the forum, i came across different values: 1200, 1250, 1270... Did something change for the T6.1?

Should I be concerned when I fit the bike rack? I added the original VW rack as an accessory from the seller afterwards, it was not included in the production order. The car is also fitted with double glazing, already adding extra weight...

thanks in advance!
(Sorry for reopening an older thread)

View attachment 75630
Unless they have changed the struts on the T6.1, all the ones I have seen are 1250, minimum.

Just checked and it seems they were uprated to 1270N, end of T6 production.

The 1200N are for a Van tailgate, not the California. A trip to the Dealership is required. Simple job to swap over.

Last edited:
The 1200N are for a Van tailgate, not the California. A trip to the Dealership is required. Simple job to swap over.
Curious to see what other T6.1 Beach and Ocean/Coast owners report?

1270N on 2019 T6 Ocean but mine aren’t as strong as I expected and have closed on me a few times. Once things open up I will get the dealer to check them over under warranty.

Thanks for your inputs!
Curious to hear from some Beach owners too.

On some of the german fora, I read that the Beach comes with 1200Nm. Would like to know if that can be confirmed?

In the fitting installations of the Quasimodo, there is also only reference of upgrading struts to 1200Nm, with explicit mention that this is nor needed for Cali’s.

Rack has been fitted and reardoor stays up, but definitely needs help getting opened. I also noticed that I have the accoustic pack (visible on the front side windows, but i also have the heated rear window), so maybe the 1200 is fine after all.

So checked mine this morning.... January delivered 6.1 Coast. 1200n. I’ve had no problems but looks like I’ll be contacting VW!

seems to become like one of those typical VW mysteries on what has been fitted in reality vs what it should be.... :confused:

From the above it looks like Beach & Coast come with 1200N V 1270 for the Ocean.
I can think of two differences between the two groups - the double glazing & the electric latching

Exactly , its by design. Expectations are too high on what a gas strut can achieve. Its correct at one temperature and one load , either side of this its compromised to a degree.

Indeed. Seems there is a difference between the accoustic pack for the Beach/Coast vs Ocean. In the BE configurator, the accoustic pack specifies the following for the rear window: "isolated rear window", while for the Ocean it explicitly mentions "double glazed non-heated rear window" + option to change it to heated window for no charge.

Slight but probably important difference, and hence the 1200Nm as standard struts for beach/coast.

Original 1250n on our 2013 Beach, still going strong. Single glazed heated screen & power latch. VW bike rack fitted permanently & will hold itself open with 2 heavy bikes ( Alfine hubs), needs a shim over the struts to stay open with 4 bikes.

Last edited:
Great feedback folks. As I said I’ve had no problems and the tailgate certainly doesn’t feel like it wants to close on its own given the force needed to move it from the horizontal! Also I’ve got a tow bar bike rack so won’t be loading the tailgate with any more than it’s delivered weight.

Also a T6.1 Beach with heated rear windscreen. Struts are 1200N. But still feels heavy to close.

Great feedback folks. As I said I’ve had no problems and the tailgate certainly doesn’t feel like it wants to close on its own given the force needed to move it from the horizontal! Also I’ve got a tow bar bike rack so won’t be loading the tailgate with any more than it’s delivered weight.
1200/1270 are rated for the VW bike rack. Without the bike rack fitted you should be able to use the boot as a catapult.

Back