Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear door gas struts - SGS

S

simonizzy

VIP Member
I have a 2012 california with a VW bike rack fitted from new. The gas struts have become a little lazy and the tailgate sags at times. I decided to change and ordered alternative from SGS . I told them that the vehicle, the OEM reference and that it had a bike rack fitted. They said their struts are a direct replacement. Unfortunately they aren't and the tailgate sagged more than with the old VW ones. When I informed SGS they said their struts will only work if you take the chairs out of the tailgate! They said that they couldn't update them and it was my fault as i didn't tell them I had the chairs in the tailgate. After much arguing and videos I managed to get my money back and part of the postage I spent returning them.

So please don't order any struts for your california from SGS - they won't work unless you remove the chairs.

I dont know where to buy them from now other than going to the very expensive VW ones . Has anyone had a good experience elsewhere. I have found people selling both 1250 and 1400 VW OEM struts online but not sure which ones to go for.

thanks

Simon

Our 2012 has the original 1250n fitted. This supports rack, 3 bikes & chairs with no issues.FB2BA8AF-68B3-47A0-B15F-D08867F5411D.jpeg

yes these are the ones that I have fitted . No issues at all until recently. SGS claimed that theirs were 1250 but they clearly weren't as the tailgate just closed immediately. I guess the only thing to do is to buy replacement OEM 1250s

1400n might be better if you carry say 4 heavier bikes, but would be more difficult for a shorter person to close with no bikes on the rack.

yes these are the ones that I have fitted . No issues at all until recently. SGS claimed that theirs were 1250 but they clearly weren't as the tailgate just closed immediately. I guess the only thing to do is to buy replacement OEM 1250s

It sounds like you received a Faulty pair. I fitted uprated SGS ones to our previous T4, and they were fine.

thanks - I never open the tailgate with Bikes on the back - my problem was just with the tailgate and empty rack. I have had 2 sets from SGS neither worked.

I had some from SGS and they would not support the back door empty. ~No problem returning them.

they insisted on me sending film of them not working . i took them off and then they asked me to refit them and take another film with the chairs removed. I sent them back recorded delivery which was lucky as they didnt contact me after receiving them but i chased them after 2 weeks and could quote the delivery reference. evidently they had been misplaced. I got a return, but they won't pay for the recorded delivery just second class . still waiting for this !

I have a 2012 california with a VW bike rack fitted from new. The gas struts have become a little lazy and the tailgate sags at times. I decided to change and ordered alternative from SGS . I told them that the vehicle, the OEM reference and that it had a bike rack fitted. They said their struts are a direct replacement. Unfortunately they aren't and the tailgate sagged more than with the old VW ones. When I informed SGS they said their struts will only work if you take the chairs out of the tailgate! They said that they couldn't update them and it was my fault as i didn't tell them I had the chairs in the tailgate. After much arguing and videos I managed to get my money back and part of the postage I spent returning them.

So please don't order any struts for your california from SGS - they won't work unless you remove the chairs.

I dont know where to buy them from now other than going to the very expensive VW ones . Has anyone had a good experience elsewhere. I have found people selling both 1250 and 1400 VW OEM struts online but not sure which ones to go for.

thanks

Simon
Simon,
I got my 2011 uprated gas struts from https://www.banwy.co.uk/ as i too have a bike rack and the uprated struts were recommended by several on this forum a few years back.
They have been excellent and can’t recommend them highly enough.

Back