Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Gas Struts

goose

goose

VIP Member
I took my cali into VW to have my gas struts looked at as they were not travelling all the way up.!

When i collected it on the Friday the new struts only travelled 3/4 off the way up and stopped.!!!!

I called over the technician and said they were worse than when i dropped it off, at that point the technician told me that they are two stage gas struts as they reach there 3/4 position so you can get the seats out of the tailgate. Is this true or just a load of pony.????

Goose

Oh and i forgot to mention that the rear over head cupboard catch was kinda bust put it this way the worlds strongest man could not open it.!!!! The whole cupboard was replaced on warranty good as new. :D

Goose

Just an update on the above.
Ive took my cali in to VW and they replaced the whole over head draw cupboard. :D :D :D

The gas struts were changed and now they stop so i can get the chairs out of the tail gate and then i lift it the rest of the way i assume this is correct. :thumb

Goose

My experience is the rear struts work better in warmer weather
Example: summers evening lifted the rear door with 2 bikes on carrier to top position (don't try this with roof up)...no problem. Done the same early next morning, rooted around the boot area when tail gate came slowly down on me :shocked :D

Correct 2-stage strut on rear door.
Same thing with bikes/winter can come down slowly on you through weight of bikes but never in summer. This is normal - good practice never to force the struts. 2011 Cali.

Our boot needs four gorillas hanging off it to shut and flings me into a low orbit when opened.

KernowLad said:
Our boot needs four gorillas hanging off it to shut and flings me into a low orbit when opened.
That's good - ours is the same :lol:

Back