Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Facing Car Seats - I did it!

Whitehouse_03

Whitehouse_03

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I sought some advice from some car seat fitting experts and together we have managed to fit a rear facing car seat for my 3 year old.

The only seat that I’m told will work is the Axkid Minikid which exclusively rear faces - luckily I had one in hubby’s car. I have tethered it to the structure under the bench and it’s a really good sturdy fit. It also doesn’t need isofix which is great as they are a pain to access in the Cali.

I’m so pleased to finally find a good solution to rear-face and reap the safety benefits with small compromise.

03F2E39C-B059-489A-B96C-450330115928.jpeg

BB19332D-E520-4CE7-967D-EDF6B29C06D8.jpeg

8514AE82-E027-4A59-A20E-8A92F61598B7.jpeg

2A3AD613-AB1D-4D13-AF3A-819677FDBF19.jpeg

*Extended rear face (ERF) not exclusive rear face

Sorry but I wouldn't be using anything other than isofix. Absolute doddle to fit in the beach maybe the ocean is different. Just my opinion tho.

Sorry but I wouldn't be using anything other than isofix. Absolute doddle to fit in the beach maybe the ocean is different. Just my opinion tho.
You cannot extended rear face with isofix. They only go up to 18kg (4 yrs old ish) whereas this will go up to 25kg (6/7 years old). It’s a much safer option for children as their necks do not fully develop until 6 years old.

As an aside, the Ocean Isofix is very difficult but that is irrelevant for extended rear facing!

So you were looking for a solution to keep a child rear facing past 4, till 6/7? If so my apologies as you have said there may not be and isofix answer for this. I was basing it on the fact you mentioned a 3 year old.

You cannot extended rear face with isofix. They only go up to 18kg (4 yrs old ish) whereas this will go up to 25kg (6/7 years old). It’s a much safer option for children as their necks do not fully develop until 6 years old.

As an aside, the Ocean Isofix is very difficult but that is irrelevant for extended rear facing!
Careful driving on your part would ensure you are unlikely to have a Forward Travel collision and hence deceleration. However getting shunted in the rear is a different matter and the perceived benefits of a rear facing seat are than negated, and I would suggest that a rear shunt on your vehicle is more likely and hence, if that is a the case a forward facing seat would have a small benefit over a rear facing seat. But your choice.

We have two Group 2/3 rear facing child seats in our Beach: the middle row captains’ seats with integrated child seats.

Isofix on the SE/Ocean is just as easy as on any other vehicle, in my opinion, fixing such seats on a regular basis.
Pull Rear bench forward a few inches, recline seat slightly. Fix Isofix seat and then raise Back of bench seat. Done.

So you were looking for a solution to keep a child rear facing past 4, till 6/7? If so my apologies as you have said there may not be and isofix answer for this. I was basing it on the fact you mentioned a 3 year old.
Sorry, yes I wasn’t clear! A few mum’s on here have been trying to find an extended (beyond 4/ 18 kg) rear facing option and I think this is the first one that may have been found. :)

We have two Group 2/3 rear facing child seats in our Beach: the middle row captains’ seats with integrated child seats.
Do they go to 25kg? I’d love to see your solution to see if it would work in the SE / Ocean too. Thanks :)

Isofix on the SE/Ocean is just as easy as on any other vehicle, in my opinion, fixing such seats on a regular basis.
Pull Rear bench forward a few inches, recline seat slightly. Fix Isofix seat and then raise Back of bench seat. Done.
Our ISOFix has been a real struggle for our other car seat. I’m hoping with frequent use it will get easier

That looks like it will be easy to store, when camping.
Sorry, but overkill IMO.

Wow, I remember sitting on the bulkhead in my uncle and aunties Spitfire.
Those were the days...

I've had no joy with mine. All our previous cars about 4-5 had ISOFix and were easy to install.

I've found my y2018, impossible to fit them to (tried 3 types of seats). I've even left the seats with the dealer and asked them to prove it can be done......they claimed my seat covers prevented the seats engaging.....funny that even after taking them off I've still not managed get the seats to latch.

This probably explains why on the 2019 they now have a proper ISOFIX slot in the seat.

Our ISOFix has been a real struggle for our other car seat. I’m hoping with frequent use it will get easier

I've had no joy with mine. All our previous cars about 4-5 had ISOFix and were easy to install.

I've found my y2018, impossible to fit them to (tried 3 types of seats). I've even left the seats with the dealer and asked them to prove it can be done......they claimed my seat covers prevented the seats engaging.....funny that even after taking them off I've still not managed get the seats to latch.

This probably explains why on the 2019 they now have a proper ISOFIX slot in the seat.

I found it really tight on my 2017 Ocean.
You do need to force it a bit. Found i can get in the right side in first then use my body weight to get the otherwise to clip in.
Yes, its not easy...

Do they go to 25kg? I’d love to see your solution to see if it would work in the SE / Ocean too. Thanks :)

0e614bc33299478fb8f0ce6f5038171e.jpg

Remove the head/neck support to convert from a Group 2 seat to a Group 3 seat; press a button and click down for an adult seat. Swivel entire seat for rear facing.

I expect height/size of the child will be more significant than weight.