Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear heating controls playing up

R

Rubbadub

VIP Member
New to this Cali business so pls bare with me.

I tried controlling the rear heating from the front as the kids were complaining they were hot. I had the ac on in the front and thought the rear was set to 'lo'. When we got to our destination I checked and sure enough even though the front and rear controls said that the rear was set to cold hot air was blasting out of the rear vents. The speed controls work fine but no matter how our what heat controls I fiddle with the air coming out of the rear vent is dame hot.

I have the basic aircon system. It blows hot out of the back, but not air conditioned cold. The coldest it will do is Push ambient air out of the back

I will check if climatronic next time I'm in the van.

The air is red hot even when set on low

Rubbadub said:
I will check if climatronic next time I'm in the van.

The air is red hot even when set on low

Have you got an LCD display on the rear controls? As far as I know only climatronic will have controllable in the rear.

Yep have LCD on rear display and a rear button on the front controls

Rubbadub said:
Yep have LCD on rear display and a rear button on the front controls

OK, when you press the 'rear' button on the front control and look back at the LCD in the back, you should see the changes you are making ie: turning the blower up and down?

If the air con is turned on in the front and the rear controls are set to 'low' the air should be cold in both the back, if not sounds like there could be a fault.

Tried controls from the front and it changes the values in the back but temp of air stays hot. Any ideas what the fault might be?

I have just gone out to the van and double checked mine incase I was giving you the wrong information. So long as the air-con is turned on in the front and it is set to low in the back it was freezing cold air in the back.

Are you under warranty?

Afraid not Martin it's a 58 plate that I've only had a couple of wks. I really appreciate you going to the effort of checking your van. Thank you :thumb

I'm used to being able to sort out all of my technical problems with my motors as my last camper was a T3 Westy but I think I might have to admit to myself that T5s are slightly more technically advanced than T3s :? All I can presume is that if the controls think something is happening but it's not is due either to the controller not sending a signal to say what should be happening or the valve/actuator at the other end is not responding

That is a shame, maybe someone with a pre facelift can try out theirs just incase it operates differently ? Anyone?

Air Con Service would be my first port of call. Relatively cheap even if you go to a dealer.

James

That might be the way forward.

Thanks for trying to help everyone :thanks

Rubbadub said:
That might be the way forward.

Thanks for trying to help everyone :thanks

Vehicle that age, unless you know its had one, it should be something to consider.

If you've got a full climtronic system, it's based upon maintaining temperatures, they aren't known for going wrong but you might want to check the sensors

There may well be a secret service menu in the T5 system, I don't know how to access it. There is in other VW's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83yTRimq6W4

I know the T5 is a three zone system and different so this may/may not help

James

It's fixed!! I posted on a couple of the other forums I'm on (Brickyard and T4forum) and the Brickyard came up trumps. This is the reply so if you have issues with your rear heating controls you will know where to look.

"Yes as you look in the back it is on the right hand side, have someone operate the directional controls so you can see that motor move,then do the same for hot and cold controls could just be the rod has popped off if you are unsure pop the rod off and manually move the flap in the box that will change it from cold to hot. If it is a motor you could leave disconnected will give you cold air until the motor is replaced"

Fortunately for me i removed the trim panel to expose the valves and motors to find that on of the wiring loom multi-plugs hadn't be pushed on correctly and therefore a motor wasn't driving. Pushed it on and that was that. :D :clap The easiest and cheapest fix possible.

Thanks again for all of your help and I hope this post helps someone in the future :thanks