Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear power sockets

S

simon.foster

What is the point in having rear power sockets in a beach and a leisure battery and the power sockets only being live when the ignition is on? Am I missing something?

Why do you say this? Some context would be useful. do you have a Beach? Are you looking at one and have seen it at a dealership?

As far as I know the Beach sockets in the boot are live all the time and are powered by the leisure battery. In fact all the sockets behind the cab are powered by the leisure battery. Believe the one in the roof is too. We have a Beach and last year camped for a week without switching the engine on. Didn't use the fridge off the boot socket, but used lights and DVD player off leisure battery.

Sorry Simon, I see you have a new Beach. Ours definitely has rear sockets live regardless of ignition key. However if the leisure battery is not charged or is faulty, that may be why you have no juice without the ignition on.

Hope that helps. Must be frustrating when it does not work the way you want it.

I picked up our new Beach on Friday plugged the cool box in and no power from the rear socket!!

simon.foster said:
I picked up our new Beach on Friday plugged the cool box in and no power from the rear socket!!

Something's wrong there.

I run the coolbox from the boot socket in my beach. It should stay live.

Not sure where the fuses are but that's probably the first thing to try....or back to the dealer if they're close by.

Good luck getting it resolved.

simon.foster said:

If it is the VW coolbox it won't run from the sockets straight away and it won't run from the rear sockets all the time.

The VW coolbox is designed to be a coolbox and not a fridge. If you drive with it plugged in (as I do) then it will charge and you will have a limited amount of use after the ignition is off. Bearing in mind it is a coolbox even when the ignition is off and the coolbox light is not on, it will still keep stuff cool/cold for sometime.

The VW Coolbox has a cut out facility which I believe is so that your leisure battery is not drained. Also in theory as this is a VW Multivan product you could be using it in a Caravelle/Multivan and that may not have an extra battery.

It's all in the manual I believe.

If you haven't got a VW coolbox, apologies

James

Thanks Guys, the cool box suddenly started to work. Why it did not just out the box I don't know.

simon.foster said:
Thanks Guys, the cool box suddenly started to work. Why it did not just out the box I don't know.

It need charging/or to be on whilst the engine is running.

James

On a related question to the rear sockets in a Beach does anyone know what current rating they have? 8amp, 16amp ?? I want to run a compressor fridge (not the VW coolbox) off the one behind the passenger seat plus fit another socket in the kitchen pod I'm building. Wondering how much total current Ive got.
Owen

I'm not sure but would guess about 150W max so about 12A.

Best is to have a look at what fuse is fitted.

well you guys have educated me, every day a school day!.

im looking at beaches, and i was under the impression that they didnt come with leisure battery!, so thanks for clearing that up (was it an option or standard?)

Leisure battery is std in the Beach (certainly in the UK anyway and I assume other markets). Its located under the passenger (LH) seat but well hidden by the seat and a rubberised plastic cover hence some of the queries on here as to what capacity it is.
On the Beach there is a split charging system to charge the leisure battery while driving but no control panel to tell you the state of charge. I bought a simple voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter sockets (use the rear ones as these are the ones fed by the leisure battery).
Not sure yet which fuse the rear 12V sockets use, will check over the weekend and hope there is a chart on either the fuse panel under the seat or the panel below the dashboard cup holder.

Tntoast said:
well you guys have educated me, every day a school day!.

im looking at beaches, and i was under the impression that they didnt come with leisure battery!, so thanks for clearing that up (was it an option or standard?)

I think it's been an education for all us Beach owners but the advantage is that you have this forum and a whole resource of information. I've learnt so much from other owners.

James

My VW fridge runs when the ignition is off....it only stops when the leisure battery runs out

Back