Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear seat is stiff

Sue Ashmore

Sue Ashmore

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 199
Hi any tips on making moving rear seat easier? Ours is new cali but moving seat seems really tricky!

Hi any tips on making moving rear seat easier? Ours is new cali but moving seat seems really tricky!
When you have lifted the lever on the bench , before sliding the bench give the lever a further tug upwards- it seems to then lift a bit more making the sliding more smooth

Frightened that we might break it!

Are you sitting on the bench while you try and move it (with your feet)? You should. Operation from the door puts too much sideways motion and it catches the runners

Yes sitting on it, but it’s really stiff

As posted elsewhere.

Do Not Oil anything.
Under the seat there is a roller for each runner, that runs on top of the runner. There is then like a inverted T bar through the slot. When locked in place this inverted T bar is pulled up onto the underside of the runner that has slot like cutouts on the underside into which the T bar engages.
When moving the seat pulling the Flap/Lever up pushes the T bar down disengaging from the slots so the seat can run fore/aft..
So when moving the seat, sit on it to ensure it remains level. Firmly pull the seat lever up to disengage the T bar and then walk forward/backward. When in the position you want, release the lever. If it doesn’t flip down properly then jiggle the seat foe/aft and once the T bar engages in a slot then the seat lever will click into the the down/locked position.

This explanation makes sense to me but I hope it makes sense to you.

Sue

Did you managed to sort your issue? We're having the same issue in our T6 (2016) where the seat is moveable but very hard and we're concerned it's only going to get worse. We took it to a dealer last week as our 5 year warranty was ending (just got it in before it expired) and after initially saying that nothing was wrong with it on a phone call - which I wouldn't accept, they then inspected it further and advised it simply needed the runners lubricating, they demonstrated this to us when we went to pick it up and it seemed to be working a lot easier (albeit thinking about it, it was on a slight downhill at the garage). We should have checked it ourselves at this point, but didn't (hindsight is a great thing) and now a day later the seat is proving just as hard to move.

We've emailed the dealership on Monday, but not heard anything back yet & so will call them to get their view, but be good to hear if anyone else had the same issue prior to the call.

Any ideas anyone?

I believe moving the seat is always a bit harder then new owners expect it to be. Doesn't necessarily mean something's wrong. @WelshGas' description sounds right to me. That's the way we do it to. I might add I also use my left hand on the kitchen corner (pull) when moving the seat forward and use my right foot on the lower back of the front seat (push) when moving the rear the seat backwards. And I'm 1.85m. So don't expect it to run too smoothly ;-)

Tried moving a bench seat on a new T6.1 recently, and it guided forward, much, much, better than ours have ever done. This made me think that adjusting the fixings just right on both sides, it is possible to get quite a smooth action.

Brings back memories of my jammed bench seat back in November ‘20. :-(