Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding rear seat problem

A

Arnieardbits

I am new to these vehicles, but have just got a 2 year old California. I have a problem with the rear seat that turns into a bed. The sliding mechanisms seems to jam frequently and it's a tough job to get it moving again. I can get it moving after a while and a bit of pushing and shoving. When you pull the catch up to get it moving the whole seat seems to lift about an inch or so. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any answers.

If you have carpets it also helps to ensure that the tool casing on the back of the seat is pushed as high as possible on its mounting studs before the nuts are tightened....

Ok thanks both, I'll have a play around. Great fun

I was told to apply a bit of downward pressure on the door side of the seat and then slide. Works every time.

I think you need to sit on the seat, then pull the handle, then "walk" it along.
Rather than trying to pull or push an empty seat...

One thing that I discovered- it is easy to pull on the release lever and try to slide the seat. But you need to be sure to pull it all the way up. For a while I wasn't pulling it up far enough and that was causing the mechanism to grate and stick. Now it moves nice and free. It does help to sit on it while moving too.

I agree with the post above.

The lever goes up, but then there is an extra inch of movement that needs almost a second tug.

As others have said, sitting on the seat and walking it backwards and forwards also helps a lot.

Once you have the knack it becomes great fun seeing just how quick you can set the bed up. I'm getting quite anal about it, even using my running watch to time myself.

I really need to see someone .... :oops:

Maybe have a competition at cotf :thumb who can go quickest from seat to bed :laugh2

The reverse is equally challenging: From Bed to seat, everything packed away and ready for off.

I wish I could be off now :cry:

Hate hospitals :cry:

I agree with above BUT mine jammed after 6 years of use. It runs askew and jams. The last time the garage fiddled with it and got it to slide again and spent 3 hours on it. It has now jammed again. Does anyone know a garage that actually knows about Cali's that i could take it to or has anyone experience of unjamming the bench seat?