Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear socket amp rating

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
What is the boot socket amp rating?
Blowed the fuse powering the fridge that isn't supposed to take more than 5-10amps on start.

What is the boot socket amp rating?
Blowed the fuse powering the fridge that isn't supposed to take more than 5-10amps on start.
All the 12v sockets seem to be fitted with 15amp fuses.

That's really weird :(
I've measured 6amps max on a fridge when starting. Any reasons why it might blow at such currents?

That's really weird :(
I've measured 6amps max on a fridge when starting. Any reasons why it might blow at such currents?
Where are you measuring, at fridge or socket?
How long is the power lead?
Possibility of the wrong fuse having been fitted as each 12v socket seems to have its own fuse.

The socket I have in my 2017 Beach, below the three pin UK socket, is labelled 20 amp. All others are labelled 12 volt with no mention of amps.
Only going by the T6 Fuse layout information available in the ' Download " section and we were talking about the Rear/Boot socket.
All the 12v sockets I can find in that document have a 15amp fuse. Of course you might have further information as you own a T6 - I don't:thumb

I guess I'll probably trust VW to have wired the sockets internally to the rating of the fuse. But beware if you use an extension cable or splitter. Some of them have shockingly thin wire and some of the chinese imports are either not fused or look to me to be fused way above the rating of the extension wire.

All the 12v sockets I can find in that document have a 15amp fuse. Of course you might have further information as you own a T6 - I don't
IMG_2527.JPG
Only the nearside b pillar socket seems different to the rest; perhaps a small compensation for the lack of an inverter and 2 pin Euro socket in the Beach.

It is useful to know the others are 15 amps. I have wondered what current they might carry.

I guess I'll probably trust VW to have wired the sockets internally to the rating of the fuse. But beware if you use an extension cable or splitter. Some of them have shockingly thin wire and some of the chinese imports are either not fused or look to me to be fused way above the rating of the extension wire.
So in theory, the thin wire extension rises the resistance lowers the voltage and rises the amp draw, right? I've made 6mm2 wire extension cord.

So in theory, the thin wire extension rises the resistance lowers the voltage and rises the amp draw, right? I've made 6mm2 wire extension cord.
In simple terms yes. And the longer the run the more power loss there is in the cable. That power loss becomes heat - which in worst case can become a fire hazard.

My university maths is a bit rusty but there are lots of calculators on line such as this one. I have not checked it!

http://www.firstflex.co.nz/technical-information/12-volt-cable-sizing-chart

Turned out more fancy.
A small metal spring heated up inside the connector and melted the plastic as a result shortening with negative.
Didn't expect 5 amps to heat the spring that much.
Most connectors for cig lighters aren't simply designed for more than 1-2 amps draw.

Back