Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Spoiler Question

Hi,

I have also removed my bike rack and gone for the tow bar fitted bike rack. Have just had the van pimped with genuine VW Sportline spoilers and bars. Suspension dropped with VW -30mm springs.5DC51D26-4D61-4538-BC42-FDB8C03AFD39.jpegEC256F24-F5A8-49C3-9803-07B692EFA107.jpegCB247A28-BDF8-4088-A34C-91F202B90836.jpeg385C9BF3-52FF-4AAE-8F8B-592CD4A13450.jpeg

Hi,

I have also removed my bike rack and gone for the tow bar fitted bike rack. Have just had the van pimped with genuine VW Sportline spoilers and bars. Suspension dropped with VW -30mm springs.View attachment 75074View attachment 75075View attachment 75076View attachment 75077

Hi Matt!

I love the look of your California! I notice that you've removed the 'Ocean' stickers usually located on the side of the rear wing. I'm going to be doing the same myself. Do you mind me asking where the spoiler is from?

Hi Matt!

I love the look of your California! I notice that you've removed the 'Ocean' stickers usually located on the side of the rear wing. I'm going to be doing the same myself. Do you mind me asking where the spoiler is from?
Hi Matt!

HI, Sorry for the late reply. My Cali is a 2014 T5.1 SE, they weren’t called Oceans until T6 model I believe. The rear spoiler is a genuine VW Sportline tailgate spoiler fitted by Ultimate Transporters in Birmingham. I took off my rear cycle rack and now use a tow bar mounted rack, mainly to keep below 2 metres height for the French autoroutes. Matt

Just a word of warning if you don't intend keeping the vehicle longterm.
Fitting the spoiler precludes fitting that well known California accessory, a tailgate bike rack, without a lot of modification. Bonding directly will make it almost impossible, unlike using screws and 3M tape. This might limit potential resale market.
WG, that is the most sensible point I've heard for not fitting a rear spoiler. I've been considering one but it can't just be for looks; there needs to be a function to it. As far as I can tell, there is no function to the rear spoiler on an Ocean so I will probably opt against one. It doesn't improve fuel economy, it doesn't help with stability (I don't drive my van 160 mpg down the motorway), and it could impact loading my kayaks. What is the functionality in a rear spoiler?

It doesn't improve fuel economy, it doesn't help with stability (I don't drive my van 160 mpg down the motorway), and it could impact loading my kayaks. What is the functionality in a rear spoiler?
Absolutely Zilch - so about as much use as front splitters, chrome side bars etc.

Aesthetically though, if its what floats your boat, go for it.

I actually think the spoiler looks good & from ground level hides the rather awkward junction between the pop up roof & the van roof.

Absolutely Zilch - so about as much use as front splitters, chrome side bars etc.

Aesthetically though, if its what floats your boat, go for it.

I actually think the spoiler looks good & from ground level hides the rather awkward junction between the pop up roof & the van roof.
That's a good point about the awkward junction. I know what you mean about the front splitters, chrome side bars, etc. Mine came lowered and with the chrome sidebars when I bought it, so.... But I agree with you.

WG, that is the most sensible point I've heard for not fitting a rear spoiler. I've been considering one but it can't just be for looks; there needs to be a function to it. As far as I can tell, there is no function to the rear spoiler on an Ocean so I will probably opt against one. It doesn't improve fuel economy, it doesn't help with stability (I don't drive my van 160 mpg down the motorway), and it could impact loading my kayaks. What is the functionality in a rear spoiler?
The same functionality question could be asked about bike racks, rarely seen with anything on them, put bikes into airflow increasing drag and potential height restriction.;)

ABT rear spoiler permits rack fitting and with Cali pop top height wouldn't be much, if at all. above roof height.

Back