Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear tilting tow bar mounted storage box + tailgate access

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Has anyone got/considered one of these?

heckbox_t52_seite_mit_radtraeger_geoeffn_04c19b6c7d.jpg

heckbox_t5.2_abgeklappt_mit_radtraeger.JPG

http://www.vw-bulli.de/de/technik-design/testberichte/test-hecktraegersystem-mit-pfiff.html

We dismissed the idea as when I contacted mft they said they don't ship to the UK but I've since seen them on amazon & eBay. Thinking I might just have to order one & hope it lives up to the review to justify the cost. We desperately need extra storage for longer trips away & have struggled to find anything else where we can access the tailgate.

Re: Rear tilting tow bar mounted storage box + tailgate acce

If you want to have it and pay for the extra shipping costs let it ship to my home in germany and i forward it 2 u.

Regards
Gerard

interesting!

140 euro for the base and 659 euro for the box, is that correct?
my only problem is the rear camera which is integrated in the number plate holder will not work anymore, anyone has a solution?

RidetheBulli said:
If you want to have it and pay for the extra shipping costs let it ship to my home in germany and i forward it 2 u.

Regards
Gerard

Thanks that's very kind but I've taken the plunge and ordered from amazon. The base shipping was free & £16 for the box so I'll post how we get on once it arrives!

Interesting product, would like to see it in use.

I looked into buying one of these last year (I think I mentioned it in a thread somewhere) but the lack of a UK distributor and the high cost put me off. I saw one in operation when I was on holiday in Guernsey and they did look very good. I might consider it again now but they are just so expensive (I think the low postage is offset by the £/Euro price difference) so may just carry on using the roof box and a step.

Would be interested to know how you get on with it though!

markh said:
I looked into buying one of these last year (I think I mentioned it in a thread somewhere) but the lack of a UK distributor and the high cost put me off. I saw one in operation when I was on holiday in Guernsey and they did look very good. I might consider it again now but they are just so expensive (I think the low postage is offset by the £/Euro price difference) so may just carry on using the roof box and a step.

Would be interested to know how you get on with it though!

Yes it is very expensive. I've been busy selling stuff on eBay to pay for it, figuring that if I got rid of stuff we didn't need anymore I could justify the cost!

Good to hear you saw one & first impressions were good. I'll report back once it arrives

Just looking on their website. I have the cycle carrier (and base) on my BMW. Mines branded BMW, but it is definitely the same product.

Could be interesting as I could re-use the base....

Have to say, I have been impressed with the quality of the cycle carrier. The base piece clamps onto the tow bar really well. It's a heavy bit of kit, but certainly does the job. The tilt mechanism works well too. Believe they won a "Red Dot" award for the design.

Hope you have similar good fortune.

Mark

... one thing to add. Looks like you need to release the tow-bar clamp to get the box into the fully down position.

If you looks at the first picture, this is how my bike rack works, and they have the box inclined at the same angle in the second picture. Not sure if the tailgate will clear?

In the third picture they have also released the tow bar clamp, so the box is fully dropped to the floor.

As I said, it is heavy, and with a full box, could be very heavy. Tilt position 1 has some support for keeping everything aligned, but tilt position 2 would allow the mechanism to rotate on the ball.

Just something to watch for.

Cheers
Mark

Screen shot 2014-05-14 at 08.42.49.png Screen shot 2014-05-14 at 08.43.06.png

Hi Waldo try looking at the BAK-RAK. I have one and use a large car roof bag, the BAK-RAK can carry 100kgs if your tow bar can take it. I would put some pictures up if I knew how

holliers said:
... one thing to add. Looks like you need to release the tow-bar clamp to get the box into the fully down position.

If you looks at the first picture, this is how my bike rack works, and they have the box inclined at the same angle in the second picture. Not sure if the tailgate will clear?

In the third picture they have also released the tow bar clamp, so the box is fully dropped to the floor.

As I said, it is heavy, and with a full box, could be very heavy. Tilt position 1 has some support for keeping everything aligned, but tilt position 2 would allow the mechanism to rotate on the ball.

Just something to watch for.

Cheers
Mark

Yes I think you're right, from what I can gather from looking online to get it to the full tilt position we would have to unwind the crank handle to pivot it on the ball hitch. I'm a bit worried about how easy it will be to access the handle with the box on as I've only seen this youtube video showing full tilt of the bike rack (1min45 in) ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNeLxKOg6gs

Hi

Yes, that is exactly how mine work but I never have had to tilt to "position 2" as I have only installed on a car.

Where are you?

You'd be welcome to dry-run with my base and bike rack to get a feel for it?

Cheers
Mark

holliers said:
Hi

Yes, that is exactly how mine work but I never have had to tilt to "position 2" as I have only installed on a car.

Where are you?

You'd be welcome to dry-run with my base and bike rack to get a feel for it?

Cheers
Mark

Thanks that's kind, we're in Suffolk but the base was delivered today so will try it out at the weekend. It will give us a chance to have a play & get used to the tilt before the box is delivered.

Mark, when you lock the lever in place, is it tight on the ball hitch? I can't see how it will tilt by releasing the crank handle alone as it's so secure. If we release the lever, the whole unit comes off though!

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, been away at the weekend.

You secure the base by locking down the handle then tightening the crank-handle.

I've not had cause to tilt the base, however, I did once forget to tighten the crank-handle and noticed the whole bike rack was dropping within a few miles (luckily).

So I suspect the base can be tilted by unscrewing the crank-handle alone, but it may require some effort.

Hope that helps

Mark

... and reading your post (first rule) if you only have the base you may not have enough leverage. I have a full bike rack and that took a few miles of jiggling to displace it. May be easer with the "box" onboard.

holliers said:
... and reading your post (first rule) if you only have the base you may not have enough leverage. I have a full bike rack and that took a few miles of jiggling to displace it. May be easer with the "box" onboard.

We tried it with the base alone in the hope it was easier to see what we were missing but it didn't help! Even with my husband sitting on the base & bouncing on it it didn't move so we've emailed the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions. All the instructions say there shouldn't be resistance when lowering the lever but there definitely is! Perhaps it needs adjusting.

The box is fantastic, bigger than it looks but in a good way as I thought it looked quite narrow but it's squarer than I expected so plenty of space for our pushchair, BBQ, wetsuits etc so will test it out this weekend.

It fits really quickly & easily, stage 1 tilt is not enough to open the tailgate & we could only tilt it to the floor by slightly slackening the lever which we need to sort out to use it properly but even doing it this way I'm really happy with it for space, ease of fitting & once tilted plenty of space behind the box to get into the boot.

Will post pics & a video when I get time but in the meantime we'll try & figure out the tilt!

I suppose, looking on the bright side, you know it is really secure :D

I'd be interested to see the pictures when you have them.

Cheers
Mark

The mft euro select box has been tried & tested this weekend & I love it so much I've already forgotten how much it cost!

It is still a bit stiff but we can lower it to the floor easily, just have to release the lever to get it back into position but hoping it will become less stiff over time.

Tailgate easily accessible. We lowered it to floor, opened Tailgate then tipped it back into the semi tilt position so we could access everything when on campsites. It can be locked into the ball hitch & integrated lights works well. It literally clicks into the base in seconds, so easy.

We had wellies, coats, shoes, games, halogen oven, pushchair & all sorts stored in there. It's a bit of an odd shape inside with a contoured floor so not great for storing boxes but worked well as storage for odds & ends to just throw everything in. It was great to let the kids rummage for bats & balls without them having to go in the Tailgate every time.

Here's a short video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmmgcLsceY&feature=youtu.be

1919665_10152625160557863_1928464831225391566_n.jpg

Pic to show tailgate open and box in semi tilt so you can access both easily at the same time. 2 weeks in France, 3 children & I'm not sure how we'd have managed without it!

Hi Cleve,

Just wondered if you still loved the "Euro box". We're off on a big trip later this year and I'm considering going for this rather than a roof box. Just wondered how you were getting on six months later and if you would recommend this route.

Cheers
Mark

Yes it's great. Found it a bit harder camping in October in the pouring rain and having to go outside every time you realised you left something in it but no different to a roof box I guess. It is an expensive option but it's so quick and easy to fit, can lift it into an awning once on site if preferred, no height restrictions to worry about as with roof box. When we have 4 bikes on the rack we can still use it and can get a pair of wellies out of the box far quicker than if they were under the multiflex. If you can manage without any additional storage then I'd say save your money but if it's between a trailer/roof box/euro box then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Thanks Cleve.

I'm almost certain we'll need the storage, and versus a roof box (weight limit, extra stress on roof lifting mechanism, height restrictions, access) I think I prefer this. I already have the "base plate" from a bike rack, so it is just the box I need.

Thanks again for coming back to me,

Mark

Hello again Cleve.

I have just taken receipt of one of these boxes. Let's just say for the sake of brevity that the process has been ... difficult. I'm trying to work out if what I have is working correctly and wondered if you could help me. Please don't go to any trouble putting the (heavy) box on the van, from memory if you can.

• Do you know if when you switch the fog lights on in the van you get any fog lights on the lighting board on the box?
  • Also, there seems to be a whole row of lights on the upper part of the cluster, above the reflector, that don't seem to do anything for me. Are these the fog lights? Do these lights do anything on yours?
  • I have a seven-pin connection on the van and a thirteen-pin connection on the lead to the box, with a Halfords 7->13 adaptor in the middle. Is this how you did it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mark