Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Van Heater Stuck on Hot (2001 pop top)

t4_generation

t4_generation

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi folks,

I recently noted my kids looking rather hot and bothered in the back of the van and found the rear blower was blowing roasting hot (not the Eber, the rear heater). The temp controls in the roof panel next to the wardrobe seem to make no difference - are they a common failure?

Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the same setup. Not sure if they are a common failure or not. You can switch it off though from the dashboard.

Yeah I switched it off but it would be good to have some cool airflow back there for long summer journeys.

We have the same setup. Not sure if they are a common failure or not. You can switch it off though from the dashboard.
Ah? Really? I just noted recently my rear controls don't seem to work.
Where/what is the dash control?

There's a pushbutton next to your AC controls on the centre console.

There are some threads on this problem somewhere on here. It still happens on the t5 too. Sometimes switching it back and forth a few times can loosen up the part that gets stuck.

Ok thanks will give that a try. The rear controls must be a resistor box, given the location relative to the heater.

If it's not the controls I guess it could be a sensor or solenoid on the heater unit itself...

Yeah I switched it off but it would be good to have some cool airflow back there for long summer journeys.

For long hot journeys the rear blower will probably only move around the already hot air its pumping in from outside. We set the dashboard vents to come through the vents that face the passengers, point the central ones to the rear of the camper and turn on the AC. Works a treat I'm told by our backseat drivers.

Mine also had this problem for a short while on my first trip away. it seemed to cure itself by turning it off and on a few times.
I presume that this unit in the rear when switched on from the dash can supply either hot or cold air depending on the setting selected by the rear passengers, fan speed can also be selected. I also presume that if the air con is on that the chilled air will also be delivered to the rear.

Mine also had this problem for a short while on my first trip away. it seemed to cure itself by turning it off and on a few times.
I presume that this unit in the rear when switched on from the dash can supply either hot or cold air depending on the setting selected by the rear passengers, fan speed can also be selected. I also presume that if the air con is on that the chilled air will also be delivered to the rear.
No. the rear cabin is supplied from a heat exchanger mounted under the van.
It pumps hot air derived from engine coolant water or external cool air.

It's completely separate from air con.
Sad but true.

The rear blower doesn't deliver chilled air. Caravelles used to have rear aircon units as an option but it was in the boot which took up valuable storage space in the Westy.

No. the rear cabin is supplied from a heat exchanger mounted under the van.
It pumps hot air derived from engine coolant water or external cool air.

It's completely separate from air con.
Sad but true.
Okay, I understand, I just thought it was linked in to the front dash system. Pity it doesn't supply chilled air from the air-con.

Back