Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear window

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
Duh! ... I've had my Cali for ten years, and have only just realised that it doesn't have a rear window demister! Shows how much you need them!

Duh! ... I've had my Cali for ten years, and have only just realised that it doesn't have a rear window demister! Shows how much you need them!

Even if i had one i'd never use it . My roller blinds all are always down behind the frontseats.
The things you see using the inside rear view mirror and rear window are not important ....the two outside mirrors thats the ones that are important to look in.
Thats the way it goes when you learn to drive a lorry as did years ago .

l like to look at my bike rack to see if the bike is still there.living in Doncaster it can go missing on the move.

The rear window is double glazed to improve sound insulation, heat retention and minimise condensation.
On some models it is now an option to have the heater element to demist it, but then the window is single glazed.

My previous T5 conversion had windows added to the rear barn doors, but no rear view mirror as it was originally a panel van. After three years & since getting my Beach (with mirror & heated window) I’ve never looked back ...

#boomtish

Even if i had one i'd never use it . My roller blinds all are always down behind the frontseats.
The things you see using the inside rear view mirror and rear window are not important ....the two outside mirrors thats the ones that are important to look in.
Thats the way it goes when you learn to drive a lorry as did years ago .
That is why so many trucks cause blind spot accidents...:(

That is why so many trucks cause blind spot accidents...:(

....the blind spot is not visible thru the REAR window using the INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR
Blind spot accidents happens when you don't look frequent in the outside rear view mirror

....the blind spot is not visible thru the REAR window using the INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR
Blind spot accidents happens when you don't look frequent in the outside rear view mirror
Half of all cyclists and 20% of all pedestrians killed on London's roads are killed by HGV drivers, despite HGV traffic making up just 4% of London's traffic.

Poor vehicle design is much to blame. Soon all new HGV vehicles in the EU will be required to have large wraparound windscreens like coaches and modern dustbin trucks to improve visibility for the driver.

http://road.cc/content/news/138579-...rce-2019-france-and-sweden-fail-force-10-year

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I was referring to 'closing all blinds behind front seats while driving'. If you use the cali as a daily car looking through any window to get any extra info may be life saving . Cyclists and pedestrians appear out of nowhere and are easely overlooked..

Half of all cyclists and 20% of all pedestrians killed on London's roads are killed by HGV drivers, despite HGV traffic making up just 4% of London's traffic.

Poor vehicle design is much to blame. Soon all new HGV vehicles in the EU will be required to have large wraparound windscreens like coaches and modern dustbin trucks to improve visibility for the driver.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We are way of topic , i say things happening behind you visible in the rear view mirror are not important , beside you looking in the outside mirrors is more important
I say that i learned to drive a lorry/truck years ago when 19y old and there you simply have no inside rear view mirror (at least not back then , now they have camera's ) .
Then RB states that the fact lorry's don't have rear view mirror inside looking thru the rear view mirror causes blind spot accidents witch is not thru.

I know lorry's cause many accidents , as cars , bikes , pedestrians ...
Not drove a lorry since 6 years and probally never will . Drove with overwieght telescopic cranes also , no fun to do now a days , i never intend to get such a job ever.

I was referring to 'closing all blinds behind front seats while driving'. If you use the cali as a daily car looking through any window to get any extra info may be life saving . Cyclists and pedestrians appear out of nowhere and are easely overlooked..

Trucks don't have roller blinds behind , it's simple look ahead and use the outside mirrors.
Imo , every test to succeed to get a driverslicence should be in a verhicle with no windows behind the front seats , thats when you get to learn your verhicle. I don't even look thru the rear window when parking in line ....
Oh and i know bikes appear out of nowhere ....i bike 36km(18km single ) to work in Antwerp every day ...belive me i know

My rear window blind is always closed, never need to look out of it, the mirrors are fine.

True most lorry drivers have no internal rear mirror but if windows all around surely the more visibility the better. If in an accident and blinds down, could the police view this as a contributary factor if the rear or rear side views were compromised? In this day of high insurance and claims companies better safe than sorry.

My previous T5 conversion had windows added to the rear barn doors, but no rear view mirror as it was originally a panel van. After three years & since getting my Beach (with mirror & heated window) I’ve never looked back ...

#boomtish

My conversion has no rear windows but does have the rear view mirror...very weird & took a bit of getting used to, it houses the rain sensors apparently.

Phew - I can't believe all this has resulted from my light-hearted post about not realising my rear window didn't demist!

Phew - I can't believe all this has resulted from my light-hearted post about not realising my rear window didn't demist!

Ha, no such thing as a throw-away comment on an internet forum! :D

I don't ever drive with the rear blind down (even though, like Hotel California, I used to drive HGVs). BUT I have to have a sticker on the back window... so I can see if I've forgotten to shut the tailgate :embarrased

(Even more embarrassing, the current sticker is a National Trust one).

I have to have a sticker on the back window... so I can see if I've forgotten to shut the tailgate :embarrased

I once drove away with the endgate up. The massive grunt of the old 1.9 Wasserboxer was enough to dump the all the kids luggage out in the middle of a busy intersection in downtown Vancouver.. I felt pretty dumb dodging through the traffic trying to collect our stuff, wish I'd had that sticker!!! Haha

I once drove away with the endgate up. The massive grunt of the old 1.9 Wasserboxer was enough to dump the all the kids luggage out in the middle of a busy intersection in downtown Vancouver.. I felt pretty dumb dodging through the traffic trying to collect our stuff, wish I'd had that sticker!!! Haha
We are way of topic , i say things happening behind you visible in the rear view mirror are not important , beside you looking in the outside mirrors is more important
I say that i learned to drive a lorry/truck years ago when 19y old and there you simply have no inside rear view mirror (at least not back then , now they have camera's ) .
Then RB states that the fact lorry's don't have rear view mirror inside looking thru the rear view mirror causes blind spot accidents witch is not thru.

I know lorry's cause many accidents , as cars , bikes , pedestrians ...
Not drove a lorry since 6 years and probally never will . Drove with overwieght telescopic cranes also , no fun to do now a days , i never intend to get such a job ever.
The vision using your rear view mirror is very limiting, you can't see the full road behind, only the immediate road, or at least on my Cali you can't
I always drive using my side mirrors

Back