Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for a mechanical polisher please

Nick.C

Nick.C

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
With all of the pictures of clean and very shiny Cali’s and time on my hands, I am thinking it is time to give our van a proper clean. Normally I just finish the wash off with aqua wax, but last October I went the whole hog using a clay bar and waxing and polishing by hand leaving me in pain for several days after, so now feels like the right time to invest in a mechanical polisher. I have read on some threads the Rupes big foot is often the weapon of choice, but it seems very expensive and I wondered if anyone had any other recommendations. For those Rupes believers, what is it that makes it better than others and worth the £500 outlay? Which of the various chemicals do you use to get that super shine? Is it actually possible to get the same shine by hand? Your advice would be really appreciated.

I have one of these, a lot cheaper than a rupes but does the job, Currently using 3M pads and menzerna polishes

Good service from cleanyourcar

I have one of these, a lot cheaper than a rupes but does the job, Currently using 3M pads and menzerna polishes

Good service from cleanyourcar
Thank you

Is it actually possible to get the same shine by hand?
Probably not but using a good polish or wax still gives a good shine.

I asked a mate of mine the same question last year, i thought
i needed an electric buffer in my life, anyway he told me carry on
doing it by hand, he said they're okay for the profis and paint correction
stuff but advised me against one and he sells all that kind of stuff.

So i took the advise.
It doesn't help you choosing which one to go for but i thought id tell you as
i had the same thoughts.
Ive never gone as far as a clay bar though.

There are two types, rotary and DA
If you’re not careful, you can make a mess of your paint with a rotary, DA’s are safer.

You should read up about different pad choices and how to use them, whichever one you have.

If in any doubt don’t bother, take it to a pro detailer

I have the Rupes Bigfoot 15 and rupes ibrid nano For around small areas. can’t fault either.

Probably not but using a good polish or wax still gives a good shine.

I asked a mate of mine the same question last year, i thought
i needed an electric buffer in my life, anyway he told me carry on
doing it by hand, he said they're okay for the profis and paint correction
stuff but advised me against one and he sells all that kind of stuff.

So i took the advise.
It doesn't help you choosing which one to go for but i thought id tell you as
i had the same thoughts.
Ive never gone as far as a clay bar though.
Thank you and having read yours and some of the other posts about the dangers of causing damage if you don’t know what you are doing, I think I am going to stick with elbow grease - for the time being anyway!

I have the Rupes Bigfoot 15 and rupes ibrid nano For around small areas. can’t fault either.
Fred, I am pretty sure I followed your cleaning regime from a previous post, which by the way totally knackered me out. I have earmarked Monday for the first ‘proper’ clean of the year and will follow your method again, but think I am going to persevere by hand for fear of causing more damage than good if I am let loose with a machine!

There are two types, rotary and DA
If you’re not careful, you can make a mess of your paint with a rotary, DA’s are safer.

You should read up about different pad choices and how to use them, whichever one you have.

If in any doubt don’t bother, take it to a pro detailer
Good advice on using a pro - thank you

Nick, went through a similar thought and research process. Always hand waxed but fancied a polisher. Got a DA, just a cheap one off Amazon around £50. Just used my normal waxes with it, but clay barred it first..Unbelievable, brilliant, fast, cant fault it. The DA seems to lessen the chance of damage... Cleaned the van and DA'd it in the sun in Spain.. Best £50 I ever spent on cleaning stuff... I couldnt justify the £000's spent on a posh one.. Mine came with pads and a bag... Bargain... She still cleans easier now with her wax coat on.... Get one..

With all of the pictures of clean and very shiny Cali’s and time on my hands, I am thinking it is time to give our van a proper clean. Normally I just finish the wash off with aqua wax, but last October I went the whole hog using a clay bar and waxing and polishing by hand leaving me in pain for several days after, so now feels like the right time to invest in a mechanical polisher. I have read on some threads the Rupes big foot is often the weapon of choice, but it seems very expensive and I wondered if anyone had any other recommendations. For those Rupes believers, what is it that makes it better than others and worth the £500 outlay? Which of the various chemicals do you use to get that super shine? Is it actually possible to get the same shine by hand? Your advice would be really appreciated.
Nick, your right Rupes DA polishers are expensive, but always get good reviews, personally I think they are for the pro detailer and I couldn’t justify the price as I’m just an enthusiast.
I too have been considering purchasing a DA polisher but have decided to continue cleaning my van by hand for the time being.
I have recently got into vehicle detailing and provided you are prepared to spend that little bit extra on good detailing products it is possible to achieve great results by hand. DA polishers are great for those needing to get involved with paint correction on older vehicles or even if you intend to show and shine your vehicle at events and shows.
As Alan mentioned above the Meguires looks good value or you could try Autofinesse I buy most of my products from these guys, be carefull though because the cost can all add up !! I think they sell a polisher for roughly £145

Nick, your right Rupes DA polishers are expensive, but always get good reviews, personally I think they are for the pro detailer and I couldn’t justify the price as I’m just an enthusiast.
I too have been considering purchasing a DA polisher but have decided to continue cleaning my van by hand for the time being.
I have recently got into vehicle detailing and provided you are prepared to spend that little bit extra on good detailing products it is possible to achieve great results by hand. DA polishers are great for those needing to get involved with paint correction on older vehicles or even if you intend to show and shine your vehicle at events and shows.
As Alan mentioned above the Meguires looks good value or you could try Autofinesse I buy most of my products from these guys, be carefull though because the cost can all add up !! I think they sell a polisher for roughly £145
I have put aside Monday for a full on clean by hand to see how I get on. I am using Auto Glym products - polar blast followed by fallout; clay bar with rapid detailer; super resin polish and finally extra high definition wax. Would you recommend something other than Auto Glym or a different process?

I have put aside Monday for a full on clean by hand to see how I get on. I am using Auto Glym products - polar blast followed by fallout; clay bar with rapid detailer; super resin polish and finally extra high definition wax. Would you recommend something other than Auto Glym or a different process?
Great minds,I’m due to give mine a good clean Monday. Nothing wrong with Autoglym products Nick, if that’s what you have, everyone has their own preferences. It would be nice to see a few photos of that when your done. What are you intending to use on the wheels ? and are you doing a two bucket wash after using the polar blast ?

Great minds, I’m due to give mine a good clean on Monday. Nothing wrong with Autoglym products Nick, if that’s what you have, everyone has their own preferences. I’d like to see a few photos of that once your done. What are you intending to use on the wheels ? and are you doing a two bucket wash after using the polar blast ?
Shows how little I know, had to google the two bucket method! Makes sense though. Wheels - not sue, what do you suggest? I have got silver cascavals.

Shows how little I know, had to google the two bucket method! Makes sense though. Wheels - not sue, what do you suggest? I have got silver cascavals.
Sorry that shows what a geek I am when it comes to cleaning vehicles !!
I only mentioned the two bucket wash because snow foaming alone doesn’t remove 100% of the dirt and grime and you have to be careful not to scratch the paintwork with anything that might be left behind especially if your going to use a clay bar afterwards.
I would just use fallout on the wheels hose or jet wash it all off then wash the wheels with shampoo but use a separate sponge if you have one in case there is any brake dust remaining. Apologies if I sound like an expert (which believe me I’m not ) it’s just what I have picked up from my own bad experiences.

Sorry that shows what a geek I am when it comes to cleaning vehicles !!
I only mentioned the two bucket wash because snow foaming alone doesn’t remove 100% of the dirt and grime and you have to be careful not to scratch the paintwork with anything that might be left behind especially if your going to use a clay bar afterwards.
I would just use fallout on the wheels hose or jet wash it all off then wash the wheels with shampoo but use a separate sponge if you have one in case there is any brake dust remaining. Apologies if I sound like an expert (which believe me I’m not ) it’s just what I have picked up from my own bad experiences.
Your advice makes perfect sense and is really appreciated, thank you.

I use quite a few Autoglym products. Liz uses them on her cars so I thought that will be good enough for me.
Quite happy with results so far.

Pleased with the results after today’s clean by hand, but I am absolutely done in. Started at 9am and finished at 4.15pm. Couldn’t face doing the inside as well - job for next weekend!
View attachment 57504View attachment 57505
How did you get on? Any photos?
That looks super, I do like that, the colour is amazing you’ve done a really great job on that,
Spent about 5hrs on mine just got to finish off tomorrow. Only managed a couple of close ups of the paint finish this time. Should have took a couple side on like yours.

A305D998-600F-4F56-9423-C09F462C58B2.jpeg

5D211CB2-7F52-4DE2-9A81-98AF18CDEDFB.jpeg

That looks super, I do like that, the colour is amazing you’ve done a really great job on that,
Spent about 5hrs on mine just got to finish off tomorrow. Only managed a couple of close ups of the paint finish this time. Should have took a couple side on like yours.

View attachment 57509

View attachment 57510
Wow, what a superb finish - you must be well pleased with that.

Nick, went through a similar thought and research process. Always hand waxed but fancied a polisher. Got a DA, just a cheap one off Amazon around £50. Just used my normal waxes with it, but clay barred it first..Unbelievable, brilliant, fast, cant fault it. The DA seems to lessen the chance of damage... Cleaned the van and DA'd it in the sun in Spain.. Best £50 I ever spent on cleaning stuff... I couldnt justify the £000's spent on a posh one.. Mine came with pads and a bag... Bargain... She still cleans easier now with her wax coat on.... Get one..
Hi Grumpy which £50 Da polisher did you buy? do you have a link for the Amazon one please?

Back