Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for retrofit heater for Beach

This forum really shows its worth sometimes, doesn't it! I was able to meet @ChrisS a couple of hours after we connected on the forum and got to see his newly finished heating system. I'm left with one question...I love the idea of the Thermocall app to turn on the heater remotely. However, it needs a SIM card (O2 PAYG) to operate. Who knows what will happen to free EU roaming after 2019, so I'm reluctant to spend £360 on a system that might not work without the hassle of buying local cards or paying a lot for text messages.
Also, if the van is parked somewhere beautifully wild (as is my wont), no text message will get through.
Thirdly, you need to pay extra for a control in the van itself. The standard swivel knob is too Dickensian looking for my taste and the 7-day timer control will add on another cost.
I can see that when Thermocall works, it's great. Just not sure on balance! Anyone?

Is there not a simple remote fob option? (I am getting a call on this from Exploria this morning)

I've just got off the phone with them. That wasn't an option offered to me. And the Webasto website doesn't show anything like that. Keep me updated!

Not sure why these will not work but will see when they call:

marine-t-91-220_12.jpg

T91 Holiday Remote Control
When the remote function is activated on your digital control, you can control your heater within a 1,000 meter radius. The remote control is only 52 mm and it is the smallest of its kind in the market.
car-bedienelement-220x110_16.jpg

Telestart T100 HTM
The Telestart T100 automatically calculates the heating time needed to reach your desired temperature. You can select your comfort settings easily - the digital display indicates the current temperature at all times.

https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-...ndustry/controls/control-options-air-heaters/

I so need heat in my beach to extend our camping season, would someone who’s had it done with the 7 day timer message me how much this was I need to know how many children I have to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I so need heat in my beach to extend our camping season, would someone who’s had it done with the 7 day timer message me how much this was I need to know how many children I have to sell

I had to sell a couple of mine worth it though :)

Re the remote fob it is £400+ to buy and fit the T91 - but £360 to fit the "Phone App" controller. About 1 hour while you wait at Exploria. :thumb

Re the remote fob it is £400+ to buy and fit the T91 - but £360 to fit the "Phone App" controller. About 1 hour while you wait at Exploria. :thumb
I bought & fitted t91 telestart to the wabasto in my t5 cali. Not a hard job. One wire goes to heater was the worst part being awkward to get it in correct place without completely removing heater. Cost about £200 I think. Kit came from Polish website. Search "t91 telestart" for more details.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just readh is thread and once again, what a great bunch of helpfl people you all are and very kind @ChrisS to show @bilberry their new heater. I too am ordering beach soon and will retrofit a heater and from your reviews, just asked exploria for a price, they all look great btw, very professional.

So, I've now got a Webasto Airtop and SmartControl in my van. I'm confused, though. My control doesn't seem to have the options it should have. There's no way to access the choice of Eco, Normal or Boost and there's a symbol under the heating arrows that look like a horizontal figure of eight that's not shown in the teeny page of instructions (I think it refers to setting heating for a specific length of time, but I can't be sure). Help!!

So, I've now got a Webasto Airtop and SmartControl in my van. I'm confused, though. My control doesn't seem to have the options it should have. There's no way to access the choice of Eco, Normal or Boost and there's a symbol under the heating arrows that look like a horizontal figure of eight that's not shown in the teeny page of instructions (I think it refers to setting heating for a specific length of time, but I can't be sure). Help!!
Hmmm

The horizontal figure of eight is an infinity sign. This means the heater will just run as you have set it until you are out of fuel. I can't see how you select eco or boost either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Aha, yes. The infinity sign!! I think it's possible that the Eco and Boost modes aren't available on the Airtop 2000s that we've both got. The control can be used with other heaters, so it may have functions that don't apply...maybe. I've looked at every manual, pdf and Youtube clip, though, and it would be good to have had that info somewhere.

Anyway, how are you getting on with the heater...and the slide-out drawer?

Yes, it may be the airtop 2000 doesn't have them. If you look at the "Technical Details" section of this page, the Evo 3900 and Evo 5500 both have an "*" next to Heating Power which shows output under 'Boost' mode. So I think it may just be the 2000 is a single speed job. Having said that, the Heating Power of the 2000 is shown as a range, as if it can push out more or less depending on setting.

Haven't used my van (and its new heater) much at all in the last few weeks, and still to get out camping although all the bits for the camping trips are coming together (fridge has arrived!) and we hopefully will get out at Easter. Slide out drawer has also arrived, but not been installed yet. Might get to that in the next few days.

A very nice Paul from Webasto has just called me. Apparently the Airtop 2000 doesn't have the Eco and Boost functions – as we guessed! I suggested they might want to head off a few queries by putting that information somewhere in their documents or website.

The control is designed to operate with a range of heaters and needs to be set up correctly by the installer for the appropriate heater. I've seen on other forums that some people can see the Eco/Boost symbols on the control screen (rather than just in the documents, as I did) and then get an error when they try to use them. That's simply because their installer didn't set the right heater.

Anyway...the van's lovely and warm and it's snowing again.

A very nice Paul from Webasto has just called me. Apparently the Airtop 2000 doesn't have the Eco and Boost functions – as we guessed! I suggested they might want to head off a few queries by putting that information somewhere in their documents or website.

The control is designed to operate with a range of heaters and needs to be set up correctly by the installer for the appropriate heater. I've seen on other forums that some people can see the Eco/Boost symbols on the control screen (rather than just in the documents, as I did) and then get an error when they try to use them. That's simply because their installer didn't set the right heater.

Anyway...the van's lovely and warm and it's snowing again.
Good service from webasto and nice to get confirmation. :)

Hi just wondering what the cost was ?
Looks great
Hi, I think it was about £1500. It's a nice job. My only comment is that it is not the quietest of heaters when you are outside the van. Could be a bit tricky if you are on a very quiet campsite.

Hi, I think it was about £1500. It's a nice job. My only comment is that it is not the quietest of heaters when you are outside the van. Could be a bit tricky if you are on a very quiet campsite.

Thanks for that Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will find that once the Heater and internal temperature are upto temperature the heater quietens down significantly. Not found it to be a problem or an annoyance on site.

Back