Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Refrigerator Door Adjustment

GollyOlly

GollyOlly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm having a small issue with our 2017 California Ocean refrigerator door. When the lid is closed, it does not latch securely (no clicking) unless heavy pressure is applied to the lid. I've tried using a silicone lubricant to allow the latch mechanism to move freely but still the lid does not latch. Does anyone know if an adjustment to the latching mechanism can be made or is it a new latch?

I've always had to give mine a bit of a thump with the heel of my hand on the edge to get a 'click'

Same here. I was hoping to avoid the thump and get the lid to lock securely in place. I don't like the thought of sour cream flying through the air during an accident mussing my hair! :cool:

Hi Golly, I had the same issue some weeks ago, when it was freezing, and I noticed the following: There was a slight misalignment of the latch on the glass cover, probably caused by the cold. Last week, when it was a bit warmer it closed again with some sideward pressure...

I'm having a small issue with our 2017 California Ocean refrigerator door. When the lid is closed, it does not latch securely (no clicking) unless heavy pressure is applied to the lid. I've tried using a silicone lubricant to allow the latch mechanism to move freely but still the lid does not latch. Does anyone know if an adjustment to the latching mechanism can be made or is it a new latch?
Is it the Latch, or compression of the seal stopping the lid closing sufficiently for the latch to operate.
If by pressing down on the lid the latch operates then it is probably the seal. If memory serves me correctly the seal is a hollow tube and I believe there is a small hole on the inside/underside to allow excess air out when compressed. Check it is patent.

Hi Golly, I had the same issue some weeks ago, when it was freezing, and I noticed the following: There was a slight misalignment of the latch on the glass cover, probably caused by the cold. Last week, when it was a bit warmer it closed again with some sideward pressure...
Thanks Poliewop. I tried the silicon lube but it didn't help. I'm thinking that the units are probably not that accurately made and the latches are all slightly unique. Some work better than others. I was watching Pro Moochers and they seemed to just easily close and latch theirs with no pressure.

Is it the Latch, or compression of the seal stopping the lid closing sufficiently for the latch to operate.
If by pressing down on the lid the latch operates then it is probably the seal. If memory serves me correctly the seal is a hollow tube and I believe there is a small hole on the inside/underside to allow excess air out when compressed. Check it is patent.
I'll check the seal. n a way, I guess it's good it's a tight fit because if there was a loose fit, there might not be a good seal and the compressor would run more (break early). I'll live with the "problem" since it seems from the forum that this is a common issue with the lids. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Like most people we have always had to put quite a bit of pressure on the lid just above the latch to get it to “click” home.
I think they are all the same.

Like most people we have always had to put quite a bit of pressure on the lid just above the latch to get it to “click” home.
I think they are all the same.
I've always had to do the same too. It was when I watched the latest Pro Moochers vlog that got me thinking as they just seemed to close the lid and it clicked home, so I thought maybe there was something wrong with mine. But it looks like it's a common feature of the lid.

Well, I guess it could be either. The seal seems intact and fine but, as you mentioned, it could be the compression on the seal. The latch definitely holds when the lid is pushed hard all the way home. It just made me think I had an issue with the lid when I watched the Pro Moochers latest vlog and they just seemed to close it and latch it easily, like I would have expected, as on a normal refrigerator door. I'd rather know though that the lid was sealing well to ensure the compressor wasn't running all the time, so if that means a firm closure, I'll live with it. The refrigerator cools well though, so no complaints there.

This might not be a solution but worth checking - I recently replaced the two rubber bumpers on my fridge after one went missing. Afterwards, I noticed the fridge lid needed to be closed with more force so I sanded the bumpers ever so slightly to reduce their hight. Might be worth checking?

This might not be a solution but worth checking - I recently replaced the two rubber bumpers on my fridge after one went missing. Afterwards, I noticed the fridge lid needed to be closed with more force so I sanded the bumpers ever so slightly to reduce their hight. Might be worth checking?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at that. I don't recall seeing the bumpers, just the seal, but I'll look again. Thank you.

Hi, they'll be on either side of the front underside of the fridge lid - try peeling them off and see if it makes a difference to the action - if it does, they are too tall. Plenty on amazon or club shop. Good luck!

Back