Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Registered as diesel car - parking ticket risk?

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello. I had to go into Leicester yesterday for an appointment at a store there. Parkopedia offered me Mansfield Street LE1 3DL as what seemed a good price and location, so I went there. When I went to the paying station, I selected 'van' instead of 'car' but then saw there was a flat rate of £20 for all day, rather than the lower hourly rates for a car. I cancelled the transaction and I went back to my Cali, thinking to go somewhere else. I then wondered if PayByPhone for this location would accept payment, as it states that my vehicle is a ‘diesel car’ on my V5. I was glad to see that PayByPhone did and so I paid the car rate for 2 hours. After leaving (within the time) it occurred to me that I might get a ticket as they say I should have paid the all-day van rate. Has anyone been in this situation and what was the outcome?

Also, as I’m away from home, I won’t see a PCN issued by post possibly until after the appeal or reduced charge deadline. Also, I don’t know if the PayByPhone location given was for the car park that I was in or the adjacent to it run by a different operator. The PayByPhone app doesn’t provide an accurate location on its map.

IMG_0005.jpeg

Hello. I had to go into Leicester yesterday for an appointment at a store there. Parkopedia offered me Mansfield Street LE1 3DL as what seemed a good price and location, so I went there. When I went to the paying station, I selected 'van' instead of 'car' but then saw there was a flat rate of £20 for all day, rather than the lower hourly rates for a car. I cancelled the transaction and I went back to my Cali, thinking to go somewhere else. I then wondered if PayByPhone for this location would accept payment, as it states that my vehicle is a ‘diesel car’ on my V5. I was glad to see that PayByPhone did and so I paid the car rate for 2 hours. After leaving (within the time) it occurred to me that I might get a ticket as they say I should have paid the all-day van rate. Has anyone been in this situation and what was the outcome?

Also, as I’m away from home, I won’t see a PCN issued by post possibly until after the appeal or reduced charge deadline. Also, I don’t know if the PayByPhone location given was for the car park that I was in or the adjacent to it run by a different operator. The PayByPhone app doesn’t provide an accurate location on its map.

View attachment 128911
If your V5c says M1 Diesel Car then that's what it is . A Commercial Van would be N1.

As far as whether you were in the correct Pay byPhone location, can't help you there.

Thanks, WelshGas - that helps. I've raised a query with PayByPhone about which car park location ID they refer to.

The PayByPhone should have had a numbered board in the carpark. If there wasn’t one chances are you have paid for a different carpark! As to the van : car distinction I wouldn’t sweat it. Unlikely to be raised and if it is you have your answer. Its a car because DVLA say its a car.

You are not a van, a van doesn't have windows behind the B Pillar.

View attachment 128911
If you don’t receive it by post before the reduced period is finished, you can appeal & have the reduced charge reinstated.

You just need proof you weren’t at home when it was served by post.

As for category, you are a car.

NB beware though, some car parks (Dorset), further delineate campervans over 4.8m to catch Calis/conversions. Not allowed in several car parks and charged at a much higher rate in others.

Thanks for all your comments - all helpful. It didn't have a numbered board numbered board in the carpark so I have contacted the parking managment company as well as PayByPhone. I didn't realise that not having windows behind the B pillar constitutes being a van - interesting. Also good to know what to do in the event of not receiving the PCN, if issued. I've heard before about the problems parking in Dorset but but good to be reminded of them as we may be going there a lot next year.

Back