Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking ticket dilemma…

this issue is developing across the country. I think the biggest issue is knowing what each council classifies as a motorhome. Who will be the 1st to park their Cali in a motorhome-only bay and then get a ticket because it is a "campervan" .
Still ok to park at Titchfield Haven?

Evening all, we spent the day in Hay-on-Wye and surrounding muddy fields. We parked up in the main Oxford Road public car park.

This morning we were not sure what to pay for a full day. The sign (attached) indicates that cars pay £4 for the day, motorhomes £8 - admittedly good value if you are staying overnight (which we are not) as no charge after 6pm

What would you have paid to park your VW Campervan for the day? I don’t consider us a Motorhome; we are certainly not over 3.5t and we fit in a single space. We are no bigger than a big car.

In the end we paid the £8 to avoid the risk, but seeing a couple of motorhones parked clearly across two bays, I wonder if we needed to.

Any thoughts as I am sure this is not just an issue at this car park. Should we just accept that we are a Campervan/Motorhome and not take the risk that the distinction may be lost on the person checking the tickets and dishing out the fines.

TIA
View attachment 121676
What does your registration doc say? I’d have called the help line. The ocean is a camper van not a motor home.

Evening all, we spent the day in Hay-on-Wye and surrounding muddy fields. We parked up in the main Oxford Road public car park.

This morning we were not sure what to pay for a full day. The sign (attached) indicates that cars pay £4 for the day, motorhomes £8 - admittedly good value if you are staying overnight (which we are not) as no charge after 6pm

What would you have paid to park your VW Campervan for the day? I don’t consider us a Motorhome; we are certainly not over 3.5t and we fit in a single space. We are no bigger than a big car.

In the end we paid the £8 to avoid the risk, but seeing a couple of motorhones parked clearly across two bays, I wonder if we needed to.

Any thoughts as I am sure this is not just an issue at this car park. Should we just accept that we are a Campervan/Motorhome and not take the risk that the distinction may be lost on the person checking the tickets and dishing out the fines.

TIA
View attachment 121676
It is a dilemma - as you say it’s just a large car really - that’s it’s class in a ferry - but I’d always pay the Campervan fee as some of these parking ticket inspectors are very overzealous !

What does your registration doc say? I’d have called the help line. The ocean is a camper van not a motor home.
There is no dvla distinction between a Campervan and a motor home - they are all motor caravans

I don't know about the newer vans, but weighs only 3t. + 100 kg possible because of the tow bar, but that is only when something is attached to it. The 5-seater Oceans were 3080kg.
Only if they check the number plate they could find out it is a motorhome. Or if they look inside.
Reckon it depends on what your V5C document says (Vehicle Details, entry (Y) Revenue Weight). If stated gross weight is greater than 3000kg you are in 'B' catagory.

Perhaps a dumb question, but is an Ocean built on the T30 or the T32 chassis?

Reckon it depends on what your V5C document says (Vehicle Details, entry (Y) Revenue Weight). If stated gross weight is greater than 3000kg you are in 'B' catagory.

Perhaps a dumb question, but is an Ocean built on the T30 or the T32 chassis?
T30

This one along Worthing seafront is handy for catching tourists in campers!View attachment 121696
I queried this with the council and they said I would get a ticket if we parked there. I have parked many times but never had a ticket. Many campers also park there. I did see a white van with a ticket and it read: 'Wrong type of vehicle'. Which led me to question what can be parked there. Basically only cars. Best park over the road.

I queried this with the council and they said I would get a ticket if we parked there. I have parked many times but never had a ticket. Many campers also park there. I did see a white van with a ticket and it read: 'Wrong type of vehicle'. Which led me to question what can be parked there. Basically only cars. Best park over the road.
Out of interest, what is “over the road”? Just wondering. :)

Out of interest, what is “over the road”? Just wondering. :)
Looking at attached right hand side “cars only” (van is brave !) left side no restriction! But road between you and promenade.
IMG_0962.png

this issue is developing across the country. I think the biggest issue is knowing what each council classifies as a motorhome. Who will be the 1st to park their Cali in a motorhome-only bay and then get a ticket because it is a "campervan" .
The trick is really to understand which "problem" the council is attempting to address; they won't all have the same priorities. In this case It seems that they are concerned about vehicles occupying more than one space during the day and seem to be ok with campers staying overnight as long as it's only for a single night.

I was parking my California in Ashburton using the Ringo App. The app told me that I wasn't allowed to park there as motorhomes were not allowed. I spoke to a parking attendant who pointed out several vans bigger than mine and told me, "just change your vehicle in the app to 'Car' ".

According to the DVLA my California Ocean is Vehicle Type M1 - a passenger car.

DVLA check doesn't really say beyond - 2 AXLE RIGID BODY. However, another free checker gives Vehicle Type Motorhome Camper Van.

What a minefield this is!
What does the V5 say, Motor Caravan?

DVLA check doesn't really say beyond - 2 AXLE RIGID BODY. However, another free checker gives Vehicle Type Motorhome Camper Van.

What a minefield this is!

All current Californias are M1(or should be) & currently all except the beach tour are body type motorhome/ Campervan/ motor caravan. The beach tour is MPV.

All current Californias are M1(or should be) & currently all except the beach tour are body type motorhome/ Campervan/ motor caravan. The beach tour is MPV.
I think my T6 Beach is classed as a Motor Caravan and with 7 seats, even though it only has 4.

A California Ocean is classed has a Motor Caravan?, has for the parking sign it clearly says Van over 3T Ocean is 3080KG which is what I would go by, has for the Beach I guess it is under 3T so would pay £4.

Back