Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5th Seat Stuck

P

pie27uk

Hi,
Has anyone experienced a stuck 5th seat?
I have just put seat into rail system nearest to sink, handle facing forwards (drawer facing backwards). The chair slid backwards ok and upto the rear bench seat but is not stuck and wont move forwards again when the under seat handle is lifted.

Any thoughts? I have the front and rear locking bolts removed from the rail to allow the bench seat to move all the way forwards and all the way backwards and have had no issues with this so scratching my head now.

Cheers.

I don't have 5th seat but my bench seat got stuck in forward position could not move it had to pull carpet out to get it free -----have carpet under seat 5?

No carpet underneath so not that but thanks anyway. Seems mechanically locked.

Fixed it.

Having removed the drawer below the 5th seat, I was able to peer beneath the seat and investigate what lever does what. In doing so I noted a leverage system that wasn't connected to anything (located along the middle axis of the chair). I was able to turn this leverage system slightly which confirmed that it had a purpose. Basically the hand lever on the front of the chair should operate the leverage system via a stainless steel ~5mm dia bar which wasn't present, therefore the two were not connected. The bar had become disconnected at one end and was hidden out of view which I found by accident with my hand. Easily re-connected along with the plastic retaining clip and all good. :D

I have a picture of the offending item if anyone else gets themselves into the same pickle.

Great work. This should help someone else in the future I'm glad you got it sorted :thumb

Fixed it.

Having removed the drawer below the 5th seat, I was able to peer beneath the seat and investigate what lever does what. In doing so I noted a leverage system that wasn't connected to anything (located along the middle axis of the chair). I was able to turn this leverage system slightly which confirmed that it had a purpose. Basically the hand lever on the front of the chair should operate the leverage system via a stainless steel ~5mm dia bar which wasn't present, therefore the two were not connected. The bar had become disconnected at one end and was hidden out of view which I found by accident with my hand. Easily re-connected along with the plastic retaining clip and all good. :D

I have a picture of the offending item if anyone else gets themselves into the same pickle.

Very useful post, I tried to refit the 5 th seat for the first time today, it just would not go back, went into the blog and found this entry, the same fault found, as you say an easy fix and the seat is now in.
This is a terrific resource.

Fixed mine as well, many thanks for sharing as I was getting pretty stressed trying to move it.

This forum is amazing resource and makes ownership of our beloved Vans so much more interesting, informative and engaging.

Happy New Year!

Fixed it.
Fixed it.

Great work. This should help someone else in the future I'm glad you got it sorted :thumb

Thanks for the info, just had this happen on our Beach.
Fixed in ten seconds.:thumb

Fixed it.

Can you post the picture please - currently in same pickle!
Thanks

Last edited:
Very grateful for this post. Suffered the same issue. Fixed with ease. Will try and attach photos.PXL_20230814_142728720.jpg