Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

removing brandrup awning rail ?

C

campernologist

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all
I have a T4 cali with a brandrup awning rail. not sure if factory fitted (as an option, if available ?) or added afterwards.
Anyway, I have some rust which has started under the bead of sealant applied between the roof and body (common T4 problem I think ) and, unfortunately, a small bubble has crept under the awning rail, before I could intercept it, so, ideally, the rail really needs to come off. Looking at the install instructions, it is bonded on I believe (e.g. Sikaflex) and so, and looking at previous posts on this forum, is probably best left alone if possible.

I can remove / treat the rust in the roof join area (which is a very narrow V shape, very hard to seal) below the rail and encapsulate / seal it and also seal the bottom edge of the rail in this area, and that may stop it spreading further (upwards) under the rail, which would otherwise mean removing it to deal with what is probably only a small patch. the Sikaflex (or other) sealant used to join the rail to the van should keep moisture off / rain out from penetrating from above ?
Thoughts please. Has anyone tried removing their rail ?
thanks

Never tried to remove it. My choice would be consult a body shop for their advice. There may be some secret trick?
Other than that I’d try a heat gun to soften it up.
Obvs care required to not damage paint. Perhaps heat the rail?

Let us know how you get on.

Never tried to remove it. My choice would be consult a body shop for their advice. There may be some secret trick?
Other than that I’d try a heat gun to soften it up.
Obvs care required to not damage paint. Perhaps heat the rail?

Let us know how you get on.
thanks sidepod. it looks like rail is secured with some self tappers, so prob just a question of undoing them, then heat gun to soften as you say and very gently peel off.
I have also found the install instructions which are quite comprehensive.
Will see how I get on with treating the rust - maybe I've caught it in the nick of time and the rail can stay on.

The roof seal / seam does seem to be a weak spot on T4s. Would be interested if other owners have had issues and, if so, how fixed. On a classic car this difficult-to-seal-properly join would prob have been lead filled. Other side looks ok, typical it has gone on this side !

Back