Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T4 Westfalia Side Awning Query

P

Penny

Hello all we have just bought an 02 T4 Westfalia, I am looking at getting a wind out side awning for it but looking at the Fiamma 35 and brackets it seems it will sit above the roof height line. Can someone let me know if this is the case and is there a wind out awning out there that will stay below the roofline 1990 mm please? We have the brandrup rail fitted as standard.

Thanks

Gaz

Welcome the the world of Westy ownership. The F35 isn’t a wind out awning. It’s a much more compact awning that I think can only be used at full extension due to the way frame supports the canvas. The F45 is the bigger brother (or sister) that is the wind out awning. It’s got a much bulkier cassette and when mounted on the rail does protrude a small amount above the pop top roofline. We have an F45, it’s never given us any height problems in 7 years of ownership. If you plan to carry bikes on a tailgate mounted rack that will effect your height more than the awning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I posted a thread on fitting the F45 last year.

Original factory drawings are available for fitting. Roof height is not increased.

I posted a thread on fitting the F45 last year.

Original factory drawings are available for fitting. Roof height is not increased.

Using the Fiamma mounting brackets as you have probably doesn’t increase the height. On our Brandrup rail (which the OP also has) its a fraction higher than the pop top. Either way it’s not a drastic height increase and you either want the convenience of the wind/rollout awning or you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses I'll search the thread on the F45 and investigate that as the way forward, my only thought was keeping under 2m in height but ill check the drawing dim's first see if this is possible.

Hi Penny, I'm currently sourcing an awning for my 2002 Cali also. As sidepod explained, if you don't have a Brandrup rail fitted, you can use the correct Westfalia brackets that allow the awning to be fitted without increasing the overall height of the vehicle. It looked like a very tidy job that sidepod did fitting hi awning.
If like me, you have a Brandrup rail fitted, Fiamma sell a set of two brackets that attach the awning to the rail.

Mine is an F45 sitting on a Brandrup rail (or the rail from the other make - don't remember). I've always considered it sat level with the roofline - however I just trawled some pics of the van and this one (sorry its a bit grainy I had to zoom it) and behold it does sit slightly above the roofline - but that said, I've never had any issues with 2m height restrictions and I'm sure I've managed a few 1.95m too...

awning roofline.jpg

Thanks for the photo thats very useful, can I ask what length that awning is please as there is a few options or is it just a case of measuring the straight secton of rail?

Regards,

My awning is quite a long one from what I've seen of others... oo-er mrs... Its just over 3m and as you can see, overshoots the roof a little - has its advantages and disadvantages - one notable disadvantage is the difficulty to open the front passenger door when the awning is out - catches on the awning arm...
As for the mounts, mine is basically sitting on the rail over the door pillars (in two places)

After with black awning.jpeg

My awning is quite a long one from what I've seen of others... oo-er mrs... Its just over 3m and as you can see, overshoots the roof a little - has its advantages and disadvantages - one notable disadvantage is the difficulty to open the front passenger door when the awning is out - catches on the awning arm...
As for the mounts, mine is basically sitting on the rail over the door pillars (in two places)

View attachment 33951
Mine's a 2.6m. A little shorter - it's not the size that counts but what you do with it, right? ;)

Doesn't matter how small they are when you've been blessed with two of them....

Doesn't matter how small they are when you've been blessed with two of them....

Pity they aren’t striped red and yellow. You’d have the T4 version of Chittybangbang then.

Pity they aren’t striped red and yellow. You’d have the T4 version of Chittybangbang then.

7c95eef4812770e8d541f4f051bdb115.jpg

Thanks for all the answers. Ill have a measure and see what length would suit us best.

Probably not.

Rough calcs show that i'd need around 63 m/s (227kmh / 141 mph) assuming a Cl of around 1.08 at 3 alpha (not a very good aerofoil so the closest i chose was a F-104 type wing). This is based on an ISA standard atmosphere as well so stick a bit of altitude and temperature in there and it goes even more to ratsh*t.

Think i'll stick to driving and keeping them stowed as intended.....

Using the Fiamma mounting brackets as you have probably doesn’t increase the height. On our Brandrup rail (which the OP also has) its a fraction higher than the pop top. Either way it’s not a drastic height increase and you either want the convenience of the wind/rollout awning or you don’t.

Cheeky.
emoji12.png

Can’t believe it! I also have a California Westfalia Generation, had her for 17years,

Hi all, I've got my Fiamma F45S ready to fit and the correct brackets to fit it on my Brandrup rail.
However, the fitting instructions state that the awning must have the brackets lined up with the support sections on the awning.
But, this is not possible with the brackets and every photo I've seen of a Fiamma F45S fitted to a Brandrup rail, looks like the brackets cannot be placed in the correct support area of the awning.
Any thoughts or ideas?

Hi all, I've got my Fiamma F45S ready to fit and the correct brackets to fit it on my Brandrup rail.
However, the fitting instructions state that the awning must have the brackets lined up with the support sections on the awning.
But, this is not possible with the brackets and every photo I've seen of a Fiamma F45S fitted to a Brandrup rail, looks like the brackets cannot be placed in the correct support area of the awning.
Any thoughts or ideas?

I think it’s worth you not scatter-bombing the various Awning threads and patiently wait for an answer. They will come. I’ve responded in the other thread already for you.

Mine are nowhere near the 'support' stickers...
They're mounted in line with the roof pillars...
Have no issues as a consequence.

20180621_220536.jpg

Mine are nowhere near the 'support' stickers...
They're mounted in line with the roof pillars...
Have no issues as a consequence.

View attachment 34606

Not awning related but are those genuine vinyls on the B and C posts? We have them on ours but they need a refresh. Given you had a repaint recently I figure costs/suppliers will be fresh in your mind.

Back