Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing high level brake light lens.

Pete M

Pete M

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I have a loose bolt or similar rattling around behind the lens (Vindis Northampton) since it was changed under warranty!
I've removed the trim from the top of the window on the inside but that doesn't get me to it :(

I'm guessing it pulls out from the front but obviously don't want to just give it a yank and break it.

you need to unscrew the "hook" for the rear window blind then pull off the U shape cream colour trim that goes across the top of the screen & comes down the sides to meet the black seat storage trim.

There are about 10 very strong spring clips holding the trim on, if the bootlid is open and horizontal the sides of the trim need pulling down verticaly the top part is pulled horizontally - I needed a wrecking bar carefully inserted to get mine off & you can have hours of fun putting it back as it needs all the clips lining up and pushing in two directions at the same time.

If you are lucky the rattle you have is one of the clips falling off as the trim was refitted. If you are unlucky it will be one of the light retaining screws fallen inside the double skin of the bootlid.

you need to unscrew the "hook" for the rear window blind then pull off the U shape cream colour trim that goes across the top of the screen & comes down the sides to meet the black seat storage trim.

There are about 10 very strong spring clips holding the trim on, if the bootlid is open and horizontal the sides of the trim need pulling down verticaly the top part is pulled horizontally - I needed a wrecking bar carefully inserted to get mine off & you can have hours of fun putting it back as it needs all the clips lining up and pushing in two directions at the same time.

If you are lucky the rattle you have is one of the clips falling off as the trim was refitted. If you are unlucky it will be one of the light retaining screws fallen inside the double skin of the bootlid.
Thanks for the info.
Pretty sure it's a screw (metallic sounding) rattling around and not a plastic clip, I'm now thinking it's going back to the stealer, gutted.

Mine has something rattling about since the brake light was replaced - what is it with the dealers?

the clips are heavy duty metal not plastic & squeeze into a metal receiver which in turn is clipped to the door difficult to explain but if they broke on reassembly you wouldn't necesserily know & there would be a metal on metal rattle

Thats the spring that keeps the brake light tensioned against the boot - there are three or four of them, have fun putting the trim back!

Thats the spring that keeps the brake light tensioned against the boot - there are three or four of them, have fun putting the trim back!
Yeah, you can just see one in the light unit in my picture.
Not sure what I did right but the trim went back in seconds, lined it up with the left to right clips along the top and banged in with my hand and then did the left and right side afterwards with no problems!

Back