Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing lid of water tank to clean it

Thank you very much! Yes that worked and managed to suck some water through the tap. But the pump still didn't kick in unfortunately...

The pump doesn't make a whirring noise anymore when I open the tap. The tap just makes a faint click and then I get an error message in the overhead console. I checked the 5 amp fuses under the passenger seat and they seem ok. So guess that means the problem must be with the pump itself...?
If you have got the lid off and the pump still isn't spinning, try manually turing the impellor or lifting it out and checking it. You can run the pump out of water for a few seconds without a problem to check. You need Mr Gadget arms to turn on the tap simultaneously without disconnecting the wiring, or a helper! Mine had dried stiff and the shaft had a small amount of corrosion on it. Once freed it has been fine since (about a year ago). Of note I have used Milton in the past but more recently Puriclean. It is only since I used Puriclean that it seized. Not sure either was to blame.

The microswitch on the tap can also fail, so although there is a click the circuit doesn't close. There are some threads on that if you have a search but my problem was the pump.

Back