Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing Stock swivel mechanism driver seat left hand drive

K

Kaboo

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hello,

As a Belgian, I own a left hand drive Cali. When I bought the Cali, I took the option to have a swivel seat as a driver seat, giving up the adjustment in height. What I thought was a necessity to dine with four at the folding table .... what a mistake to make. Worst decision ever to have the swivel mechanism.
I tried it once to turn the seat, but as it is a left hand drive, the steering wheel and the kitchen unit make it almost impossible to do the job in a very fluent manner.
And now, after 2 years and 70000km, the seat has a wobbly feeling during driving when taking corners and during acceleration. Volkswagen importer claimed it is a normal thing that the seat is used and will not replace it under warranty.

So what I want to do now, is to find a way to remove the unstable swivel mechanism (stock version) and make my driver seat a fixed seat, just able to move back and forward on the rails.

Does anyone has any experience with it and maybe somebody can talk me through the procedure on how to DIY.

Greetz
Greg

Hello,

As a Belgian, I own a left hand drive Cali. When I bought the Cali, I took the option to have a swivel seat as a driver seat, giving up the adjustment in height. What I thought was a necessity to dine with four at the folding table .... what a mistake to make. Worst decision ever to have the swivel mechanism.
I tried it once to turn the seat, but as it is a left hand drive, the steering wheel and the kitchen unit make it almost impossible to do the job in a very fluent manner.
And now, after 2 years and 70000km, the seat has a wobbly feeling during driving when taking corners and during acceleration. Volkswagen importer claimed it is a normal thing that the seat is used and will not replace it under warranty.

So what I want to do now, is to find a way to remove the unstable swivel mechanism (stock version) and make my driver seat a fixed seat, just able to move back and forward on the rails.

Does anyone has any experience with it and maybe somebody can talk me through the procedure on how to DIY.

Greetz
Greg
I don’t think you can remove just the “ swivel “ mechanism on the factory swivel seat as it’s built in unlike aftermarket swivels.

You make the task of swivelling the seat sound comparable with landing on the moon! It is fiddly, but someone may be able to help with tips specific to LHD Cali's

You make the task of swivelling the seat sound comparable with landing on the moon! It is fiddly, but someone may be able to help with tips specific to LHD Cali's
You will have to find yourself a seat from a Multivan or Caravelle, or even Transporter with height adjustment (complete unit) and replace the cushion and fabric from your California, to make it match.
Or you will have to order a new seat base at VW with height adjustment, and switch the backrest and cushion and seat fabric to match.

Good luck.