Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing zipped pocket in tailgate

jts46

jts46

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I need to remove zipped pocket to gain access to inner tailgate.
Does anyone know how to remove the plastic rivets?
What tool do i need?
Part number of replacements?
See attached photos.
IMG_2355.jpgIMG_2356.jpg

They look similair to those in my T4. If I am not mistaken these are the ones: clips You can take them out with something you guys in England call an allen key. If you're lucky and take it slow/cautious, you can re-use the same ones. If not, you can buy them in bulk from chinese websites or more expensive from local carpart-shops.

My website is in Dutch, but there are pictures of me removing these clips with an allen key here.

The are torcx or allen key i think.

A turn or two then a good finger nail

T4 is sold, T5 is getting checked at the garage, so I can't try it, but quite sure it was 3mm allen key, if I remember correctly. It's important to not use to small a key and not too much force, or the allen-key will spin inside the hole and seeing how they are cheap plastic clips, the hole will widen and it will get more difficult to remove the clips. When you turn the allen key, the first part of the clip will come out and the second should follow. If you don't get them out, another solution is to screw a screw into the allen key opening. The screw will screw itself in and youll be able to pull the plug out. But that means you will then have to rep[lace the clips.

I find they round off very easily but can be popped out with a forked trim removal tool like this one and just pushed back in. I got a whole set of the tools for about £10 from amazon.
When prising out you need to get in between the 2 bits of plastic and not try to remove the whole thing at once.
1574970641408134173829719679775.jpg

I find they round off very easily but can be popped out with a forked trim removal tool like this one and just pushed back in. I got a whole set of the tools for about £10 from amazon.
When prising out you need to get in between the 2 bits of plastic and not try to remove the whole thing at once.
View attachment 53058
that isa good kit to have, i think i will stick that on my christmas list.

Just pull the centre part directly out by 10mm using mole grips or pliers holding a small nail or spike that has a 90 degree bend about 5mm from the end. An Allen key won’t remove them.

Cheap enough on eBay if you wreck them:

No. Do not use an allen key to attempt to remove these...they will simly deform in position.

These plug rivets are removed by using a pick tool. I bought a set from Screwfix. Halfords also sell them.
I found that the 90deg version worked well.

Check out this youtube video.

I need to remove zipped pocket to gain access to inner tailgate.
Does anyone know how to remove the plastic rivets?
What tool do i need?
Part number of replacements?
See attached photos.
View attachment 53052View attachment 53053
I have these holding the fairing and other bits on my motorbike - allen key and they pop out. They can be reused by popping them back in.

Bit of an update, plastic poppers/rivets removed.
Torx/crv metal screws not loosening as the pressed fit nut is turning, am taking it to my local garage to have them removed hopefully, it is a b****** of a job.
Also found the reason for leak from offside front drain hole, the 90' plastic insert had broken have ordered a new one form vw dealer

Bit of an update, plastic poppers/rivets removed.
Torx/crv metal screws not loosening as the pressed fit nut is turning, am taking it to my local garage to have them removed hopefully, it is a b****** of a job.
Also found the reason for leak from offside front drain hole, the 90' plastic insert had broken have ordered a new one form vw dealer
What was the part number of the 90' plastic insert? Any pics of this area and the broken insert?

only pieces left were the two ends in tubing, had to remove part of head lining to gain access, any idea how to clean water stains from lining?
the connector minus the tubing in the ektra picture is what i have ordered.
The other photo is were the connector fits, between brown pipe and black pipeScreen Shot 2019-12-04 at 13.30.24.jpgIMG_2358.jpg

only pieces left were the two ends in tubing, had to remove part of head lining to gain access, any idea how to clean water stains from lining?
the connector minus the tubing in the ektra picture is what i have ordered.
The other photo is were the connector fits, between brown pipe and black pipeView attachment 53187View attachment 53188
Thanks for the photos. AutoGlym Interior Shampoo works great on water stains.

Last edited:
How does one of those plastic angle pieces get knackered

Back