Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Renewal quote

I’m with LV, and my insurance quote is double to what i paid last year. This is for my Beach that’s now 5 years old, no claims etc.…. they are asking for over £1000…….
Any tickets?

I’m with LV, and my insurance quote is double to what i paid last year. This is for my Beach that’s now 5 years old, no claims etc.…. they are asking for over £1000…….
If you want to stay with LV, or if you can’t get a better quote, it’s worth calling them and asking for their ‘best price’. It’s a 10 minute call that could save you money. I did that for our car, and the quote reduced by 10%.

Yes mine almost doubled with LV. I couldn’t get a better price from others. Knocked £200 off by reducing the mileage…

Yes i got one ticket (3 points) - will that make a massive difference?
Well from 66tim99's response it seems LV is introducing significantly higher rate increases and points are certainly not going to help.

Yes i got one ticket (3 points) - will that make a massive difference?
In this case, points don’t win prizes unfortunately.
27 years ago I used to drive 70k a year and accumulated 3 points every year.
Did it for 5 years.
Driving at 99 every where always caught up with me.
Plod used to ask me if I wanted a flake with it.
The Welsh police were a lot nicer than the English.
And the Scots had zero tolerance.
Didn’t care about insurance then as was company insurance.
But I do now on mine.
Used to hike it up 50%

Last edited:
In this case, points don’t win prizes unfortunately.
27 years ago I used to drive 70k a year and accumulated 3 points every year.
Did it for 5 years.
Driving at 99 every where always caught up with me.
Plod used to ask me if I wanted a flake with it.
The Welsh police were a lot nicer than the British.
And the Scots had zero tolerance.
Didn’t care about insurance then as was company insurance.
But I do now on mine.
Used to hike it up 50%

Just a short pedant’s note:
The Welsh police are British.

£624 with Comfort, looks underwritten by Aviva. Decent insurance company ?

Might be worth joining CAMC. Got a great deal from them in fairness.
I’m already a member, for 3 years but always found it twice the price of LV.
Might be better, I’ll run a quote. Thx!

£624 with Comfort, looks underwritten by Aviva. Decent insurance company ?
I've been with comfort for a few years. They seem like a good company, and provide a proper motorhome policy. No problems for me so far, easy to contact, seem to know their stuff. I haven't ever claimed though, so no experience of that side of it.

Let me know, I’m also a member but premium was 50% more. Will definitely be on the list again next year. I get the impression they like a lot of no claims bonus - I’ve only got 2 years. Mine is garaged, but in east London which I know doesn’t help

Last edited:
It says they’ll beat your renewal by £25 - which isn’t massive.

Might be worth joining CAMC. Got a great deal from them in fairness.
£405 with my ghost and global Telemetrics tracker. Happy days!
I couldn’t do one for middle of Jan 2024.
Only 30th Dec 2023
As they haven’t updated their website for 2024!

It says they’ll beat your renewal by £25 - which isn’t massive.
They just told me they couldn’t beat my LV quote, so not sure how that claim is valid…I didn’t mention that feature though as hadn’t spotted it. Maybe you need to mention it to get it, though that seems odd

I d never really encountered issues getting cheap insurances for donkeys years until this year. I bought a cheap Audi A6 as a runaround and couldn’t believe the quotes I was getting which were all from around £500, I thought it would be £200 ish. My R8 was also up for renewal and the previous two years was around £340. This tripled in price on renewal which I thought a cheek and assumed I’d get it at a similar previous price shopping around but no. Just under £900 in the end and most insurers would not insure it at all.

This is going back to August / Sept, with the A6 I got a decent price from LV on a multi car policy (although not the R8 as they wouldn’t insure it) but needed to add at least another car so because the Cali was due in Oct I added it but needed a reg number so I bought a cherished plate for it so I could insure it ready. The price for the Cali was around £240 which I couldn’t believe and the A6 just under £300. Anyway I ended up cancelling the Cali and re-ordered for a March delivery but was reluctant to take the Cali off the policy but I did and replaced it with a Q5 which is also less than £300. When the Cali does come I’m not expecting to insure as cheap based on everyone else’s comments but hoping not much more. Also added my other half’s Puma ST to the policy and that’s less than £200

Just glad I haven’t got a Range Rover with their massive price increases.

Great post guys. It’s such a Comfort to hear we are all LiVIng in the same world. At least we can afford a Cali. Happy Christmas

Oddly, our insurance has gone down over the last few years. £620 last year, £550 this. With Safeguard, on-street parking, in London.

I agree. I have reached the age (60 next month) where I care less and less about the costs to maintain my passions. It's just the price of admission and if it's not hurting why wring my hands. The 6% interest on savings and big jumps in the 401K retirement fund are making the increases easier to swallow.
6%?? The UK base rate was held at just 5.25 last week, I believe, and my instant access account is only 4.1%, with the best 1-3 fixed no more than 5%.

Might I enquire as to where you achieve 6%?

Thanks in advance

6%?? The UK base rate was held at just 5.25 last week, I believe, and my instant access account is only 4.1%, with the best 1-3 fixed no more than 5%.

Might I enquire as to where you achieve 6%?

Thanks in advance
Its a US bank. Current rate for instant access savings account 5.05%. The rate fluctuates depending on the Fed's lending rate.

My current comparison list is:
Caravan Guard
Comfort
Safeguard
NFU mutual
Performance Direct
Vaninsurance.co.uk

Just pricing up for a new camper due in February/ March. Just added the last name as a friend got a very good renewal quote for his old T4, over 70, with on street parking.

This is an ongoing source of mystery (or misery hehe) for all of us. However there are so many variables..... age, postcode, no claims, endorsements etc etc.......... that it is very difficult to compare one persons insurance with another

I take the view ..... am I happy with my insurer? are they nice people to deal with? can I (relatively) afford it?........ if the answer is yes I just roll over and pay the bill..... then I can get on with enjoying the van.

Before anyone accuses me of being too smug or short on this, I will admit that it has taken me nearly two years of ownership to wean myself off my continued obsession to get the best mpg! I do realise now that in the grand scheme of Cali ownership these costs are the price that just HAS to be paid. The Cali's are expensive vehicles to start with and not particularly cheap to own and maintain. As many on here often quote..... Life is too short!............. I find myself agreeing with this more and more, especially as I career towards 70 :cool:
Agree circumstances and requirements are individual, this years quote has gone up 45% but a market comparison showed the alternates providers were more like for like. It also showed that a slight reduction in market values and adding a small voluntary excess made for a 10% reduction so more palatable.

LV -
Last year's total price: £225.64

This year's total price: £347.22

I was going to shop around but not sure if I can be bothered now after reading this thread!
Always worth shopping around - to make it easier I belive there's a search site now for campervan insurance, which I may be using myself in May when mine is due! Can't remember what it's called though.