Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Renewal quote

Not like for like, but just renewed my Grand Cali 4motion yesterday for £420 with Comfort and that includes full U.K./Europe breakdown. very pleased.

I have stuck with the same broker for a coup[le of years as they give me the best quote. Advance

Just received quote from comfort £568.80 anybody do any cheaper?
Out of interest, by how much was that an increase on the previous year? We’re with Comfort and I’m bracing myself for the renewal in January!

Out of interest, by how much was that an increase on the previous year? We’re with Comfort and I’m bracing myself for the renewal in January!
My C&MH policy went up by 10% on last year's which had gone down by 5% compared with 2021.

This is an ongoing source of mystery (or misery hehe) for all of us. However there are so many variables..... age, postcode, no claims, endorsements etc etc.......... that it is very difficult to compare one persons insurance with another

I take the view ..... am I happy with my insurer? are they nice people to deal with? can I (relatively) afford it?........ if the answer is yes I just roll over and pay the bill..... then I can get on with enjoying the van.

Before anyone accuses me of being too smug or short on this, I will admit that it has taken me nearly two years of ownership to wean myself off my continued obsession to get the best mpg! I do realise now that in the grand scheme of Cali ownership these costs are the price that just HAS to be paid. The Cali's are expensive vehicles to start with and not particularly cheap to own and maintain. As many on here often quote..... Life is too short!............. I find myself agreeing with this more and more, especially as I career towards 70 :cool:

Last edited:
This is an ongoing source of mystery (or misery hehe) for all of us. However there are so many variables..... age, postcode, no claims, endorsements etc etc.......... that it is very difficult to compare one persons insurance with another

I take the view ..... am I happy with my insurer? are they nice people to deal with? can I (relatively) afford it?........ if the answer is yes I just roll over and pay the bill..... then I can get on with enjoying the van.

Before anyone accuses me of being too smug or short on this, I will admit that it has taken me nearly two years of ownership to wean myself off my continued obsession to get the best mpg! I do realise now that in the grand scheme of Cali ownership these costs are the price that just HAS to be paid. The Cali's are expensive vehicles to start with and not particularly cheap to own and maintain. As many on here often quote..... Life is too short............. I find myself agreeing with more and more, especially as I career towards 70 :cool:
I agree. I have reached the age (60 next month) where I care less and less about the costs to maintain my passions. It's just the price of admission and if it's not hurting why wring my hands. The 6% interest on savings and big jumps in the 401K retirement fund are making the increases easier to swallow.

My C&MH policy went up by 10% on last year's which had gone down by 5% compared with 2021.
I know that prices from insurers have loads of variables / individual nuances, but the C&MH quote for us was roughly double the Comfort price on like for like terms in 2022.

I know that prices from insurers have loads of variables / individual nuances, but the C&MH quote for us was roughly double the Comfort price on like for like terms in 2022.
There are so many variables when it comes to Insurance. I've been with C& MH for 10 yrs. Insured for 20,000 miles/Yr. 2 drivers, kept on drive. Initial premium £430 and it has remained at that level or so since. Now £440. Last year £400. The lowest was £380. Also I had an excellent experience when we had a 2 week old caravan written off many years ago.

LV -
Last year's total price: £225.64

This year's total price: £347.22

I was going to shop around but not sure if I can be bothered now after reading this thread!

LV 2023 multi cover insurance.
House insurance £638
California £ 437
Evoque £412

They want, for 2024

So from £1488 to £2250
50% increase.
How can they justify 50%

LV -
Last year's total price: £225.64

This year's total price: £347.22

I was going to shop around but not sure if I can be bothered now after reading this thread!
So your the same , just over 50% increase.
It’s a joke.

So your the same , just over 50% increase.
It’s a joke.
Didn’t you get the sob story email they sent out a few days before the renewal notice!:

Why is the cost of insurance rising?
It’s no secret that insurers are dealing with an increase in claims and growing costs. So, let’s look at why it’s happening and what we’re doing about it.

Challenges faced by the car insurance industry:
  • Cost of vehicle repairs – up 32% since 2022. Reflecting rising costs, energy inflation and more expensive repairs (source: ABI).
  • Payouts for vehicle theft - up 35% since 2022 (source: ABI).
  • Labour costs for repairs – up 50% since 2019, due to inflation, shortage of skilled workers and the energy crisis (source: Auto Body Professionals).
  • Severe weather – Storms are getting worse and more frequent and it’s impacting motorists. Recent storms, Babet and Ciarán, saw many cars damaged by flash floods and falling trees/debris in the high winds.
Here at LV= we’re doing everything we can to tackle these changes :D :D :thumb

There are so many variables when it comes to Insurance. I've been with C& MH for 10 yrs. Insured for 20,000 miles/Yr. 2 drivers, kept on drive. Initial premium £430 and it has remained at that level or so since. Now £440. Last year £400. The lowest was £380. Also I had an excellent experience when we had a 2 week old caravan written off many years ago.
Sound recommendation. I’ll see what Comfort come up with in January (peeking through closed fingers emoji would be handy ! ) then give CAMC a whirl.

Just received quote from comfort £568.80 anybody do any cheaper?
Your quote will depend on your age, location and driving history. None of our individual quotes will particularly match in any way. If you search the forum you will find plenty of recomendations of the usual 3 or 4 everyone uses. Phone them all up. The one that is the least money will be the cheapest.

I agree, there are 101 variables. But, the general direction of travel, year to year, with individual insurers (as well as the overall market) is of interest. I’m hearing of horror stories of 80% + increases versus <10% increases (cite @WelshGas ). It’s good to air our experiences so we all can benefit / avoid the worst excesses of a perverse industry that is supposed to look out for us.

Didn’t you get the sob story email they sent out a few days before the renewal notice!:

Why is the cost of insurance rising?
It’s no secret that insurers are dealing with an increase in claims and growing costs. So, let’s look at why it’s happening and what we’re doing about it.

Challenges faced by the car insurance industry:
  • Cost of vehicle repairs – up 32% since 2022. Reflecting rising costs, energy inflation and more expensive repairs (source: ABI).
  • Payouts for vehicle theft - up 35% since 2022 (source: ABI).
  • Labour costs for repairs – up 50% since 2019, due to inflation, shortage of skilled workers and the energy crisis (source: Auto Body Professionals).
  • Severe weather – Storms are getting worse and more frequent and it’s impacting motorists. Recent storms, Babet and Ciarán, saw many cars damaged by flash floods and falling trees/debris in the high winds.
Here at LV= we’re doing everything we can to tackle these changes :D :D :thumb
Not really a sob story, just facts that try to explain to people why insurance costs are going up. Unfortunately Insurance companies need to make money or they would go out of business, winch would be of no use to anyone. Insurers generally aim for an underwriting profit of less than 5% on home and car insurance. Overall, they made an average underwriting loss of 10% in 2022 and likely to lose the same again in 2023.

Last edited: