Replacing DRL Bulb

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone replaced the DRL bulb on the T6 yet...?
I have a bulb gone on one side, had a look and it looks almost impossible to get to.
Im wondering wether the actual headlamp unit needs to be complete removed to access the bulb...?

Any advice out there please...

Which headlights do you have?
Some have reported its actually easier to remove the front number to do this job. There is a very good transporter HG youtube video on how to do this.
1600342737641.png

Don't know about LED lights but the others. On driver's side remove the air filter cover. Unclip the large hose, disconnect the electrical connection then there are clips at the front and back of the air filter cover - unclip and remove the big black box. Bulbs are then easily changed. Put everything back in reverse order. On passenger side, bit more tricky. If you have small hands and can feel your way to remover the build covers go for it. Take a picture first and learn where things are. Alternatively take the battery out - carefully. It is then easy.

Which headlights do you have?
Some have reported its actually easier to remove the front number to do this job. There is a very good transporter HG youtube video on how to do this.
View attachment 66344

Looks like the H7 version.
472B5EA8-719F-4106-ADEF-288686ACC0CB.jpeg
I can remove the lamp cover. But looks like it only services the dipped and side light.
The drl is further down and I can’t see any access to it...?

1601725794387.png
You have the rubber lids (middle and right), and you have the hard plastic lid.
Or did you already sorted it out?

View attachment 67232
You have the rubber lids (middle and right), and you have the hard plastic lid.
Or did you already sorted it out?

Its on the to do list...
Must get it sorted as the MOT was due in May and I’m sure this would give a fail

The drl bulb holder is solid plastic, towards the bottom of the opening after taking the internal cover off. Feel around for a plastic fin, which you then twist towards the nearside by about 90deg. Then pull out.
It is on an angle downwards, and can but quite stiff and fiddly.
Definitely take off the air filter box for offside.

I've just tackled the DRL bulb replacement. As per the above advice, it isn't difficult when you actually work out how it's done !
Driver's side:
First remove the top half of the air filter box. Remove the jubilee clip and pull the hose off, disconnect the electrical connection to the box (there's a small clip at the back to pull up to release). The box itself is held by two clips (one each front and back), once undone the box can be lifed out - lift up the right side as you look at it as it is held by a couple of inserts at the left hand side.
You then need to remove the cover with the clip on it on the back of the headlight.
This is where it got tricky, where is the bulb? I fished about but it was hard to find - I used my phone to take pictures to give me a better look inside.
In the first two attached photos you can see an inverted "T" shaped piece of plastic. It turns out that this is actually attached to the DRL bulb, turn anticlockwise and out it pops ! (this last action took me about half an hour to figure out!).
The third photo shows the bulb in situ without the plastic extension piece and the remaining photos show bulb and extension piece. Replacement is simply the reverse.

Passenger side is the same apart from removing the battery instead of the air box.

thumbnail_IMG_1274.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1275.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1282.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1286.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1287.jpg

Good idea to replace the headlight bulbs at the same time with Osram +200% Halogen bulbs.

Thankfully my LED bulbs in the DRL's are still working since summer 2017. May regret saying that.

This is so unbelievably annoying.
I’ve messed with this pesky bulb numerous times over the last 12 months.

I’ve had it clear and two weeks later it’s not working again. November, I admitted defeat and got the local garage to have a look whilst they sorted the MOT.
All good, 3 days later, it’s not working again…:mad:

The bulb is fine.
It’s the actual connection. I’ve decided it’s not worth any further time and decided to leave the van in Wink mode…:headbang

Hi, @soulstyledevon ours lights look like H7 type lights in the above pictures. We had one of the DLR lights fail could not see how to get it out so asked Breeze to do it when in for MOT -they found the holder had failed so replaced both under warranty - think they said it was a modified part.

Hi, @soulstyledevon ours lights look like H7 type lights in the above pictures. We had one of the DLR lights fail could not see how to get it out so asked Breeze to do it when in for MOT -they found the holder had failed so replaced both under warranty - think they said it was a modified part.

Thanks @Meoncoast, I will look into a replacement :thumb

Don't know about LED lights but the others. On driver's side remove the air filter cover. Unclip the large hose, disconnect the electrical connection then there are clips at the front and back of the air filter cover - unclip and remove the big black box. Bulbs are then easily changed. Put everything back in reverse order. On passenger side, bit more tricky. If you have small hands and can feel your way to remover the build covers go for it. Take a picture first and learn where things are. Alternatively take the battery out - carefully. It is then easy.
Thanks for the advice. Awkward job but your guidance really helped.