Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing split charging relay on new Cali 6.1 - guarantee?

R_Sargeant_CH

R_Sargeant_CH

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I am thinking of having the primitive split charging relay replaced with an electronic DC-DC charge version that will allow us to make full use of the 2 leisure batteries and is ready for solar if we decide to do that.
Is this likely to invalidate the warranty?

Last edited:
I am thinking of having the primitive split charging relay replaced with an electronic version that will allow us to make full use of the 2 leisure batteries and is ready for solar if we decide to do that.
VW would have the legal right to refuse any Warranty Diagnostics or Repairs related to anything connected to the new equipment/ installation. Whether they do or not is upto the Dealership. If they supplied and fitted it themselves it would probably be covered.

I am thinking of having the primitive split charging relay replaced with an electronic version that will allow us to make full use of the 2 leisure batteries and is ready for solar if we decide to do that.
Hi @R_Sargeant_CH
I’m interested to understand how changing the relay to an electronic version improves the use of the leisure batteries. Can you elaborate?

You have the ability to select max charge on a 6.1
True, thanks, but I am thinking of adding solar later, and maybe swapping to Lithium. Depending on how our preference for wild camping pans out.

Hi @R_Sargeant_CH
I’m interested to understand how changing the relay to an electronic version improves the use of the leisure batteries. Can you elaborate?
Because as I understand it, with a spilt charging relay the batteries are all linked together when charging from the motor, and never charge fully. This is to "leave room" in the engine battery for the electrical energy won back by regeneration from the alternator when braking. Part of the new emission regulations.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Because as I understand it, with a spilt charging relay the batteries are all linked together when charging from the motor, and never charge fully. This is to "leave room" in the engine battery for the electrical energy won back by regeneration from the alternator when braking. Part of the new emission regulations.
Easily overcome by switching on Heated seats/ headlights or AirCon. Also as @Loz said above the T6.1 has a switch to select Maximum Charging.

Solar panel or panels easily connected to Leisure and Starter Batteries and will charge both to 100% capacity.

Using the built in Mains Charger will also charge both Leisure and Starter Batteries to 100% capacity.

True, thanks, but I am thinking of adding solar later, and maybe swapping to Lithium. Depending on how our preference for wild camping pans out.
I am not an expert but I don’t think the battery charge % is restricted when using solar to charge (only restricted via engine charging via the alternator)?

I am not an expert but I don’t think the battery charge % is restricted when using solar to charge (only restricted via engine charging via the alternator)?
I think you are right. Thanks! But solar MAY come later!
Easily overcome by switching on Heated seats/ headlights or AirCon. Also as @Loz said above the T6.1 has a switch to select Maximum Charging.

Solar panel or panels easily connected to Leisure and Starter Batteries and will charge both to 100% capacity.

Using the built in Mains Charger will also charge both Leisure and Starter Batteries to 100% capacity.
Mains - true, but our preference is for wild camping.

Further explanation from an old thread:

"A DC-DC charger is effectively a smart-charger for your 12V system. It isolates the house battery system from the alternator, so that the vehicle’s computer management system sees it as something like a set of lights. At the same time, it boosts the charge voltage at the house battery from as little as 9V back up to 14.4V (or higher, if required) to maximise charging capacity, delivering it in stepped form, like your smart mains charger, achieving close to 100 per cent charge after a day’s driving"

Further explanation from an old thread:

"A DC-DC charger is effectively a smart-charger for your 12V system. It isolates the house battery system from the alternator, so that the vehicle’s computer management system sees it as something like a set of lights. At the same time, it boosts the charge voltage at the house battery from as little as 9V back up to 14.4V (or higher, if required) to maximise charging capacity, delivering it in stepped form, like your smart mains charger, achieving close to 100 per cent charge after a day’s driving"
The T6.1 has the Max Charge switch, which I gather does the same and avoids any warranty problems.

I think you are right. Thanks! But solar MAY come later!

Mains - true, but our preference is for wild camping.
2021 21 days to sweden , 20 nights wild camping never had problems with household batteries even though cali was 5y old already. If you don’t stay longer than 3 nights without running engine you never get in trouble. Really doubt all these mods are worth the money and the effort.

2021 21 days to sweden , 20 nights wild camping never had problems with household batteries even though cali was 5y old already. If you don’t stay longer than 3 nights without running engine you never get in trouble. Really doubt all these mods are worth the money and the effort.
Sound advice - thank you. We will certainly try a few trip before making any changes.

Back