Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing USB on Dashboard

BigPritch

BigPritch

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all,
needing to replace the USB sockets on my dash, (next to the ESP Button near glovebox) but just cannot work out how to remove from the dash.
I have some trim removal levers, but its not moving & scared if I go too Rambo I'll damage something.
Seen the YT vid on how to fit one, but need to get this rascal out (and reversing the process doesn't seem to help).

Any pointers, or should I just take it to an Auto place ?

Thanks all.

My Dash.jpg

An auto place will be "Rambo" and not give a Sh1t, go carefully and forcefully and it'll come

Hi all,
needing to replace the USB sockets on my dash, (next to the ESP Button near glovebox) but just cannot work out how to remove from the dash.
I have some trim removal levers, but its not moving & scared if I go too Rambo I'll damage something.
Seen the YT vid on how to fit one, but need to get this rascal out (and reversing the process doesn't seem to help).

Any pointers, or should I just take it to an Auto place ?

Thanks all.

View attachment 129353
As that is not OEM it might not be fixed in the normal way. Can you remove one of the standard OEM switches alongside?

Remove the 2 OEM switches that are east and south of the USB slot. That will give you a better opportunity to view what is going on inside .BTW it looks like the tang grippers (in chrome) appear to have been splayed out. Is that why you want to replace them?

Follow the below to remove radio then you have full access to usb ports, ports should just then push out from behind. 2 min job.

Get some new ones on eBay.

Last edited:
Remove the 2 OEM switches that are east and south of the USB slot. That will give you a better opportunity to view what is going on inside .BTW it looks like the tang grippers (in chrome) appear to have been splayed out. Is that why you want to replace them?
Yes, and fact that the grippers are pushed back, into the unit so can't be reached...

Ah....hidden screws...no wonder it never budged....THANK YOU
It’s really easy when you know how and gives good access to the area you need to get to , if you remove the stereo you can put your hand into the gap either way .

When the glove box is out it’s possible to add extra sound proofing matting in the voids, just don’t pack it tight around the stereo as it need air around it to stay cool.

UPDATE
thank you @Perfectos , as managed to remove the glove box (and put it back lol).
Unfortunately, couldn't get to the USB to be able to get it out, as the buttons near it wouldn't come out, either and didn't want to bugger anything up.

However, one bonus of removing the glove box, was I found the USB connector to the Kenwood head unit....
Drilled a small hole in the bottom cubby hole at the rear, fed it through.
I now have a head unit with Android Auto...WORKING, which is really what I wanted more.
I'll live without the USB for a while and see how it goes.

Big thanks to ALL who suggested here - MUCH APPRECIATED !!

Cheers

Neil

Back