Retro fit solar?

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Anyone retro fitted a solar set up to a GC600? its the one thing missing from the van Im interested in.

First off, note that I have no experience other than reading through what others have said on the german sister forum. This is just to throw some ideas at you.

The real estate on the roof is surprisingly limited by the different vents and you won't be able to fit much more than a 100w or 2 x 60w panels unless you're willing to add smaller panels in a patch work layout. The open vents cast shade and lying flat on the roof you're not going to get the most out of any panel.

I'm fairly certain you won't be able to integrate any after market solution into the existing VW control panel.

You might consider a portable panel in addition to or instead of a roof panel.

You could quadruple your useable power by converting the leisure AGM to a larger LiFePO4 and forego solar.

What about carrying an Ecoflow or (better because LiFePO4) a Bluetti, also possible in combination with portable solar.

Keep in mind that your off-grid autonomy is also limited by your water and toilet tank capacity.

First off, note that I have no experience other than reading through what others have said on the german sister forum. This is just to throw some ideas at you.

The real estate on the roof is surprisingly limited by the different vents and you won't be able to fit much more than a 100w or 2 x 60w panels unless you're willing to add smaller panels in a patch work layout. The open vents cast shade and lying flat on the roof you're not going to get the most out of any panel.

I'm fairly certain you won't be able to integrate any after market solution into the existing VW control panel.

You might consider a portable panel in addition to or instead of a roof panel.

You could quadruple your useable power by converting the leisure AGM to a larger LiFePO4 and forego solar.

What about carrying an Ecoflow or (better because LiFePO4) a Bluetti, also possible in combination with portable solar.

Keep in mind that your off-grid autonomy is also limited by your water and toilet tank capacity.
I was thinking of a panel on the front as the VW option. Not interested in anything complicated etc
Just something that will keep the battery topped up if we don't drive for a day or two whilst running the fridge.

It is good for you maintain shore power connection if is not solar fit. I am little test make my gc600. 28Dec is parkering not use sometime. 18 jan is message plays wall panel - battery is empty - Load immediately. I am solar panel factory attach vw.

Winter time Europe is weak sun, little energy goes to battery. Each day Gc600 eating this little energy and 1 extra biscuit the battery, more than is Solar panel replace and so become battery empty.

I am read German owner group is 1 owner Poland - he have timer home, each 2 week is 24hr power send to camper and recharges leisure battery - is excellent solution.

When is you camping and use leisure battery energy, can pressing Fast Charge button control panel and is make battery ready next operation heater fridge and water pump. Is noisy for neighbour camping next door make fast charge and bad diesel exhaust to them, better is wait they go out!.

I am disappointed in the length of time the battery lasts when not running (like now) With every thing switched off it only seems to last just over a week. I would like to retrofit the VW solar panel but do not know how much it costs. In the meantime I am trialling much cheaper solution, a switch on the battery to isolate the leisure battery when not in use ( the main breaker is in a cupboard under the bed which is difficult to access). After 10 days i t is working fine. My main concern is that the control panel would not like it.
The item I am using is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172096775398 but i am sure they are readily available.

I just turn off the main isolator when we're not going to use it for a couple of weeks.
The battery only drops to 80 - 90% then.
80% winter 90% summer.
We have a cover so no solar when parked up.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Back