Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reversed polarity

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Is there a reversed polarity indicator in the Cali Se when plugging in the Hook up lead?

No you need to buy a polarity tester and check yourself once hooked up

Okey dokey will get one ordered, every other site we visited between france and spain was reversed. We had a indicator on the hook up lead we used to dangle thou the window in Beach.
silly question but being a two pin continental lead if it it reversed can you just plug the lead in upside down on the campsite oulet??
Also what damage can you/what effect will it have on a California SE if it is reversed? Do the batteries not charge? power inverter/fridge/heater not work?? or does it just have effect on what you plug into the 240v plug socket inside? Pretty sure most modern appliances can be reversed without effect?
Any advise would be great, thanks in advance

Or make up a short lead that you reverse wiring

but would would need to know whether wiring was reversed first as its random across France and Spain.. some are, some aren't.
You could end up reversing a socket that doesn't need it and be back where you started

but would would need to know whether wiring was reversed first as its random across France and Spain.. some are, some aren't.
You could end up reversing a socket that doesn't need it and be back where you started

images.jpeg

Buy one of these and reverse one end electrically then you have a cable that is reversed in the van, that is what i use. this image was taken off ebay.

John

Okey dokey will get one ordered, every other site we visited between france and spain was reversed. We had a indicator on the hook up lead we used to dangle thou the window in Beach.
silly question but being a two pin continental lead if it it reversed can you just plug the lead in upside down on the campsite oulet??
Also what damage can you/what effect will it have on a California SE if it is reversed? Do the batteries not charge? power inverter/fridge/heater not work?? or does it just have effect on what you plug into the 240v plug socket inside? Pretty sure most modern appliances can be reversed without effect?
Any advise would be great, thanks in advance
I think everything still works but anything plugged in remains live at all times (I'm not an electrician btw). I think the risk of electric shock is small but I always have a reverse wired lead and a tester in the van when we go abroad.

I carry a tester. Never used it. I simply do not use the 230v that much. The only 230v bit of kit in my van is my hairdryer and normally there's one in most shower blocks anyway.

I can't see reversed polarity being a problem on anything I'm likely to plug into the van.
I think all my camera/laptop/phone chargers use a 2 pin figure of 8 connector into the actual device on the opposite end of the lead to the plug, so they have a 50/50 chance as to which side is live. the only thing I can think of that might be sensitive is an old style TV rather than a flat screen.
I might be wrong but I believe the circuit breaker fitted to the van is twin pole & therefore works whichever way round the van is connected.

Reversed polarity will not effect the California. The problem is with the appliances you plug in. The California has a double pole RCBO, in the event of a fault or overload both live an neutral are disconnected. Anything you plug into the 13A socket in the California will have a fuse in the live (except phone chargers etc). In the event of an overload the fuse will blow whether the polarity is right or wrong but if the polarity is wrong the appliance will still have power. Any switch is usual in the live side only so with reversed polarity the appliance will still have power. Anything you plug in will operate fine whether the polarity is right or wrong, its the safety side that needs consideration.

Last edited:
I accept that, but any fault that is enough to blow a fuse in the item would also trip the RCBO in the van. In fact the van protection is more sensitive than a fuse so you should never get a fuse blowing, the van will trip instead.

I accept that, but any fault that is enough to blow a fuse in the item would also trip the RCBO in the van. In fact the van protection is more sensitive than a fuse so you should never get a fuse blowing, the van will trip instead.
The RCBO in the van is10A overload, it is quite possible to have a small appliance with a 1A fuse in it. Depending on the fault current both fuse and RCBO could operate.

If we use a figure of 1.58ohm (estimate) for the earth fault loop impedance (ze) on a fictitious hook up point. This would allow us to calculate the prospective short circuit current of 151A. This assuming the fault is between line and neutral as a fault to earth would be handled by the RCD function of the RCBO. Now I don't have my Regs book with me to check the time/current characteristics for the fuse and RCBO but I believe both state 0.1 sec. Which one would operate first? Your guess.

One classic case where reverse polarity is reason for concern is the Edison screw (ES) lamp holder. The centre pin should be live and the outer screw neutral. If you reverse this the screw section becomes live. With a blown fuse, thinking the lamp has blown, it is quite easy to touch the live side of the screw. The RCD function in the van would hopefully protect you for death but you are going to know you touched it.

I can't see reversed polarity being a problem on anything I'm likely to plug into the van.
I think all my camera/laptop/phone chargers use a 2 pin figure of 8 connector into the actual device on the opposite end of the lead to the plug, so they have a 50/50 chance as to which side is live. the only thing I can think of that might be sensitive is an old style TV rather than a flat screen.
I might be wrong but I believe the circuit breaker fitted to the van is twin pole & therefore works whichever way round the van is connected.
On reversed polarity the fuse would be in the neutral. The appliance wouldn't know the difference. By the way, I don't carry a polarity tester, I'm not overly concerned, the protection in the van is adequate.

Ditto - Raggedroy - traveled all over Europe and never bothered. Only "big" thing we plug in is a travel kettle, everything else is on a figure of 8 connector so can't care :)

For mere mortals this thread is becoming incomprehensible.....;)

I think:
For the Cali Circuit it does not matter; the 230V goes directly to the transformer, and the connection, reverse or not, makes no difference.
For the plugged in appliances there might be a theoretical danger, the same as at home in fact, I bet many of the wall sockets at home has reversed polarity and nobody cares or knows about it.
I would only care about appliances like electric blanket, in this case the risk is potentially higher.
Andrzej