Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ride quality, Ocean T6 2017 204 DSG.

Yes, perhaps I am gone soft as I have an Audi Q5 which floats on air.
The seats are great, it's the rattles and bumps that are the issue. Not rattles from anything I have added, but the fabric of the van.

Are you sure your sliding table is locked in position properly? That rattles if not. Also, do you have an awning? That can rattle if not retracted and stowed properly. I have no problems with comfort or ride quality. There should be no rattles from the fabric of the van.

I have a 2017my Ocean 150 DSG. I have gone 5000mi so far. After about 1590 miles I had the standard lowering springs fitted. This does make the van less wallowy but gives a harsher ride over our local pothole-ridden roads. I had it lowered so it would go in garage (rather than ride) and am happy with outcome. About £500 from dealer

Charles

Just a word of caution regarding Insurance.

Do Not be mislead into thinking that you do not have to inform your Insurance Company if you have VW supplied Lowered Springs or HD ARB fitted by the Dealership.
My Insurance Company takes the Base Vehicle as supplied by the Factory. Anything fitted by the Dealership or another 3rd Party is deemed a modification and could void the Insurance Cover. Other companies have similar conditions
Many companies accept the fitting of Dealer fitted items at no cost and possibly certain VW supplied items by a 3rd Party, but not all.
But failure to notify can mean you could be un-insured.

I rang my insurance company (safeguard) prior to getting mine done. I got charged no extra.

Charles

I rang my insurance company (safeguard) prior to getting mine done. I got charged no extra.

Charles
Same here with the lowering springs. Our insurer is Comfort and they needed to record it but didn't charge.

As an aside, we've found the springs do a good job of reducing pitching and wallowing, particularly sat in the back. I believe VW dealers can retrofit the uprated rear anti roll bar if it wasn't a factory option.

Ive now done 800 miles in my new baby. Thats after two years in a high spec Range Rover. Yes, it does have some noise, creak etc, not too much but as others say, she is based on a van.

I lined my drawer (Under bench seat) with foam, all shelves lined with anti slip and foam in with the cuttlery insert to stop movement. Bottles in fridge all have foam sleeve... Then being unhappy with noise, noticed I had not locked down the rear shelf (Bebind bench seat). Also the table was not locked down. Putting them right made a big difference.

I concede she is a van, but a very nice one, she will never quite ride like RR but for that slight reduction in ride quality, she does one hell of a lot more than the RR did or could do.

Now on a nice road she sound sperfect. The coasting is brilliant.

Intend (If I dare) to let wife drive and me sit in back to "Listen". Then take on all little noise niggles.... She is fully loaded for work and getting ready for Spain so most noise is poor packing and my error..

Love her...

I've a T6 204 DSG with 5,000 on the clock now. As some may recall, I was originally concerned about the ride and handling but I've just adjusted over the last 6 months. As others have said its a (heavy) van, if it's an Ocean, and so it's not a car.

That said, on the motorway it's quiet and economical. On other roads you just have to get into the swing of how it goes.

I suspect part of the ride issue is that when you hit a pot hole, you really hear it. So you think it's harsh. In fact, I think it's not that bad.

That said our SEAT Alhambra people carrier is noticeably quieter and rides more smoothly. But not so easy to boil and kettle or camp for the night ...

Persevere - I suspect you will come to love it for what it is.

We fitted sportline springs to our Beach and our SE and having just driven to Cornwall and back in our new Ocean I'm desperate to get the springs on again, feels so wallowy and under steering without them. Plus our kids get travel sick on the stock suspension. Its a no brainer, just inform the Insurance company as above.

We have now done around 1,500 miles in our T6, 204 DSG & find the ride good, apart from some forward/rear pitching. We did however go for the uprated anti-roll bars & lowering springs. That said we have recently toured Belgium in our Lotus Exige (hence forum name), which has rubber bands for tyres & I found that fine so I am probably not the best person to ask!! I am going to put 18" wheels on which may help with the pitching & improve the looks.

My Cali's ride is a world away in quality from the panel vans they loan me when I have the Cali serviced.

17" wheels and standard factory springs - no complaints whatsoever.

We have now done around 1,500 miles in our T6, 204 DSG & find the ride good, apart from some forward/rear pitching. We did however go for the uprated anti-roll bars & lowering springs. That said we have recently toured Belgium in our Lotus Exige (hence forum name), which has rubber bands for tyres & I found that fine so I am probably not the best person to ask!! I am going to put 18" wheels on which may help with the pitching & improve the looks.
Perhaps you're confusing your pitch with your roll. !!

While there are a few things that I think could be improved, and other things (not that roof corrosion and control panel issue again! ) yes, but I won't go on about them now, one thing that I am really happy with is the ride quality. Fully loaded up, running on standard 17" wheels, but with the thicker upgraded anti roll bars, I think the ride quality is excellent for a 3 ton vehicle. Good road holding, no rattles, I really can't see the need for 18" wheels and lowered suspension. Yes for looks, but not on the grounds of drive quality,

IT'S A CAMPER!

Our daily drive is a VW Golf GTI Anniversary. Lowered suspension, big BBS wheels, it's horses for courses I feel.

204 4motion DSG on 17inch no roll bars and correct tyre pressures, really pleased with ride and handling. I have owned T5 Cali and 2 BMW's incl 335d.

Exige, who's springs arb did you use?

Back