Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Advice please.....
I am sure everyone has their preferences, duvets, blankets, sleeping bags....

We have decided on sleeping bags but want a double that can be unzipped and made into two singles. 2 - 3 seasons would be ideal (not Dec to March).

Will be looking to buy at next weeks NEC show with suitable discounts ;)

Care to share your experience?

Thanks JW

Can't help with sleeping bags I'm afraid as we decided to go with a double duvet. We find the duvet much more versatile for varying temperatures as its much easier to kick-off or snuggle up tightly in than sleeping bags. We roll it up tightly, secure with a couple of compression straps and then it easily fits in the wardrobe with 4 x pillows. Just don't leave it rolled up when not in use.

ditto - my view the same as DM

We've opted for the Vango Ambiance in the double, you can remove one season individually. However I don't believe it can be separated into two singles (awaiting delivery so am happy to check once its with me).

One issue with a shared sleeping bag, especially if used upstairs is that if one of you (usually me) needs to get up in the night. It's difficult not to disturb your partner.

One issue with a shared sleeping bag, especially if used upstairs is that if one of you (usually me) needs to get up in the night. It's difficult not to disturb your partner.

Perfect if you need some company though! ;) Seriously, a good point. Kids have bagged upstairs so husband and I will be downstairs on the little bed!

Good point! (Usually me too!)

Perfect if you need some company though! ;) Seriously, a good point. Kids have bagged upstairs so husband and I will be downstairs on the little bed!
Hot flushes (hers) can be challenging in a sleeping bag! My recent suggestion that I slept up top an she slept down below didn't go down too well!

Agree, Duvalays are fantastic and versatile - duvets can be removed on warm nights and you are not zipped in. We have 4cm, which are great, so 5cm must be 5*. Also summer duvet is all you need. Worth investing in, in my opinion.

As a bonus, kids use them for sleepovers and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at the Duvalays at the weekend in our local camping shop but they seemed very slim width wise (and I'm quite slim myself!). I agree that they are appear very verstabile but with four of us sleeping in the van, they take up a lot of space when rolled up. I'm sure they are comfy but I wasn't convinced.

We use a Coleman Hudson double when it's cool/cold and a light duvet in summer. The Coleman bag won't split into 2 but is very roomy and warm, nice brushed cotton lining and a half moon hood to contain your pillow. Packs up neatly into a nice bag (included) that we chuck on the back shelf with pillows etc. Recommended.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LN5TA2/?tag=eliteelect-21

I use a laundry bag, the sort hotels bundle up their sheets and towels in for collection by laundry. It's got compression straps built in so I can stuff a heavy winter duvet and two pillows in and compress it down to a manageable size.

Hmmmm.......interesting consensus, maybe rethinking this one! Thanks for thoughts.

On a not entirely unrelated matter, how do you all stop your pillows falling off the end of the bed during the night. (I, of course, naturally assume you sleep with heads to the front of your Cali!)

Hmmmm.......interesting consensus, maybe rethinking this one! Thanks for thoughts.

On a not entirely unrelated matter, how do you all stop your pillows falling off the end of the bed during the night. (I, of course, naturally assume you sleep with heads to the front of your Cali!)
So far no pillows lost overboard and no safety net.

Double sleeping bag with a liner - You just wash the liner after a trip away and get the bag washed somewhere with a big laundry drum a few times a year (some of the bigger sites have these on site).

Sleep with head towards the boot. Also stops dog (who sleeps on rotated driver's seat) from licking face during the night!

On the odd occasion we've had to sleep other way around (due to angle of dangle) we have lost a pillow or two but have generally solved the issue through the consumption of more wine prior to retiring.... :D

Outwell Lakeview down double bag. Will unzip to make two singles. Toasty warm in winter and we tend to just use one half of it in summer thrown over the top of us with a sheet on the matress.
Stuffs into a bag about a foot long and ten inches diameter so doesn't take up half the van to store.
Not sure they still do it but well worth it if you can find one.
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/outwell-lakeview-double-sleeping-bag.html

Sleep with head towards the boot. Also stops dog (who sleeps on rotated driver's seat) from licking face during the night!

On the odd occasion we've had to sleep other way around (due to angle of dangle) we have lost a pillow or two but have generally solved the issue through the consumption of more wine prior to retiring.... :D
Heads towards the boot? Upstairs too?

Heads towards the boot? Upstairs too?

Haven't had opportunity to try on the T6 yet but it looks pretty tight that way around up top. That said, the T4 wasn't high enough to fit my feet so never even considered trying to put my head there... Will be sleeping downstairs in the T6 99% of the time.

I should have mentioned that the previous owner had made both side and head boards (reinforced 6mm marine ply) for the top of our T4, mostly for kids. The kids used them for the first year but they became more of a hazard when they were trying to climb down in the night so we stopped using them. The roof closed fine with them laid flat but I'm not sure that would be the case in a T6.

Sleeping bags with hood - stuff the pillows into the hood and voila.

If it's just me, a single (but square and zipped all-round) sleeping bag. If two of us, double duvet but with the opened-out sleeping bag underneath us. Both can be kept stuffed into the wardrobe.

The duvet vs. s/bag vs. duvalay question aside (FWIW we prefer duvet in the van), I think newbies might find it most useful to know that the Cali is very well insulated and even if you sleep in the top bed in the (UK) winter you're very likely not going to need the sort of 4-season bag you'd use in a tent.

A suggestion to new owners therefore is start with whatever you already have in your linen cupboard for the first year: eg any old sleeping bags, or a summer duvet plus a nice blanket or two which is then hugely versatile.

Back