Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rip Off Britain

Stopped at Moffat C & CC for an overnight pitch a few days ago. Yes sir, we have a pitch, it’ll be £38.90 for members (2 people). When I said that’s a lot, warden said yes, we are expensive. I said no thanks and turned round. We stayed there last August and it was only £21 then! (We ended up at the services near Lanark where it costs £10, really nice stopover with free showers.)

We never pay more than £30 in Scotland which normally includes EHU but that's often away from NC500. Last September on way back from Scotland we came down A1 and stopped at a site near Seahouses and were gobsmacked to pay £40 per night +£3 for awning!! The facilities were like a 5* hotel but no better than one in Edinburgh costing £28 - touble was the other site around it were similar price!!!! I see this year is less for September but.............................. Outer Hebridies none were more than £28 inc EHU

It’s supply and demand. If the demand dries up…

Maybe we should all collectively rate each site on this forum. Name and shame the worst and boycott them. Collectively we do have a lot of influence but do we use it effectively.

I agree - sites in the UK are very expensive particularly after three weeks in France as we have just done.

Well, I stayed at a beautiful remote Norwegian beach camp. Paid an equivalent of €38/ night with EHU. Epic place and worth it for me.

Has anyone been camping in France recently? Just back from a 2500 mile round trip and never paid more than 30 Euro for a site, in fact in the range 23-30. Every site bar one had a swimming pool, restaurant and great facilities. One in Millau had 3 pools, water fountains and slides for kids!! Now back in UK (unfortunately) trying to get a campsite in the Dales/Nth York Moors = £30 night and thats no EHU and the closest swimming pool is the North Sea to the east or the Irish Sea to the west. Some don't even have toilets. The argument of supply and demand is used to hide the greed that is really behind all this. As usual we are getting ripped off!!
Agreed. I agree with Flying Banana and try and go independent. My wife and I try and avoid the ‘theme park’ sites with such facilities comes costs

Agreed. I agree with Flying Banana and try and go independent. My wife and I try and avoid the ‘theme park’ sites with such facilities comes costs

We are the same. A view, peace & quiet and a toilet is all I really need, a flat pitch is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just speculating and generalising, but Brexit has crippled the hospitality sector in some areas (larger pubs & restaurants can't recruit enough staff where I live) so I assume it has had an impact on bigger sites that rely on seasonal staff. Probably not so much the farmer who makes a bit of pocket money on the side without needing to employ staff on spiraling wages. But yes, supply and demand (call it greed if you like) is probably also a factor.
It’s been like it for at least the 30 years I’ve been holidaying in Europe.

A beautiful site I regularly visit in the Chamonix valley on the edge of the Mount Blac range has always been appropriately 50% of an equivalent uk site, which is why I really stay in a uk campsite.

An example of current prices is the following: I drove past a site in Aviemore a month ago and for a family of 4 with the trimmings it was £70 a night, now look at the picture of the tariffs take in March this year from the site described above.

IMG_7880.jpeg

Tend to agree campsite prices now through the roof. Typical to have to spend £25 a night and no EHU. I don’t feel guilty doing one night in three at a campsite, stealth camping in between. Still spending plenty in the local community, mainly on beer!
This is why I happily paid my £30 for Brit Stops membership. Even though you're not obliged to buy anything, a pint or two or meal if they have a decent menu on, still works out cheaper than a site, if you have solar and can wait a few days for the waste tanks etc as I generally do.

We are currently in the Italian Dolomites and the prices are around the 50 euro mark. Nothing special so choosing to wild camp more. Much better locations than the sites..

If you have a van. Add a couple of kids. Some electricity. Go in August then add taxes some campsites I've been looking at are 80 euros. Yes the facilities can be great but karaoke till midnight is not always enjoyable. A mid range one will be 50 euros. A basic one 30. In the UK I pay 20/25 maybe 30 all year same for everyone. Yes the facilities are basic but these campsites have maybe 12 to 20 pitches and are beautiful and peaceful and usually only a short walk to a great pub. And land here is expensive. France is massive compared to UK. Don't get me wrong I'm off to France and Spain for the summer but why bemoan what we have on our doorstep. Enjoybthebdifferences.

Aye and ‘thoosands o weans’( lots of screaming children )

Dartmoor - Beardown Farm Campsite

£10 per night for campervans
£3 per night for tents

Money in an honesty box.

Limited facilities.
Interesting pricing. A campervan would take up less room than and tent with a car but would be three times the cost. If the only facilities are a tap, why not charge per person? Sounds like a van tax to me!!

Interesting pricing. A campervan would take up less room than and tent with a car but would be three times the cost. If the only facilities are a tap, why not charge per person? Sounds like a van tax to me!!

The website has pricing as you suggest:

=====

Prices
Riverside Campsite
September–June: £2.50 per person per night.
July & August: £10 per adult, £5 per child per night.
Exclusive use of site: £100 per night.

Leat Campsite
September–June: £2.50 per person per night.
July & August: £5 per adult, £2.50 per child per night.
Exclusive use of site: £100 per night.

Camper Vans
£10 per night.

=====

A sign on a “leat field” gatepost says campervans £10, tents £3. Money in honesty box at farmhouse.

I expect that during quiet periods the farmer cannot be bothered to go around counting heads and collecting cash.

It’s been like it for at least the 30 years I’ve been holidaying in Europe.

A beautiful site I regularly visit in the Chamonix valley on the edge of the Mount Blac range has always been appropriately 50% of an equivalent uk site, which is why I really stay in a uk campsite.

An example of current prices is the following: I drove past a site in Aviemore a month ago and for a family of 4 with the trimmings it was £70 a night, now look at the picture of the tariffs take in March this year from the site described above.

View attachment 110761

So for a family of four with electric thats 53.4 euros per night, is that your idea of a cheap site half the price of a UK one?

9e922c9c4f871c8c2075c9003f21e400.jpg

FREE camping.

Beardown Tor, Dartmoor.

I wonder whether the problem is more cultural. The English have very low expectations when it comes to campsites. If there’s a field we can run about In and somewhere to poo we think that that’s camping.

First time I went to France I was absolutely blown away. What do you mean we have as pitch. An actual allocated area, to call our own. How weird.
Funnily enough, "If there’s a field we can run about In and somewhere to poo we think that that’s camping." - actually I believe that IS camping! In fact my current favourite site doesn't even have loos, just water taps and an elsan point. And I don't have an allocated area, I can park anywhere I want in that field. It's full of the sound of birdsong though and has a river running alongside it. Certainly the price has gone up - last year it was £9, this year I think it was £11.
The most I ever pay for camping is £35 and that's only if the site is in a place I specially need to be for some reason - and I usually don't like it much because it's huge and full of kids running about and chucking balls and people partying and making a noise etc etc.

It's all a matter of opinion really.

So for a family of four with electric thats 53.4 euros per night, is that your idea of a cheap site half the price of a UK one?

I did not say it was cheap! I was trying to draw a comparison against an equivalent site, based on them being pleasant, well equipped sites in mountainous region, albeit the French site has significantly better views and tourist opportunities.

To make my comparison clear: a family of 4 with two teenagers in the Aviemore site was, from memory £73 a night, a comparison to the French site outlined would be €24+€16+€7.5 and 1.2 tax or just over £41.

Given the choice between the two I know where I’d spend my money, but that said I’d now park in one of the many aires

Last edited:
Surely. Paid Aires are needed here in the UK. Most do not need hotel-like sites. Too much is always subjective but for me, the purpose of owning the camper is far from staying in the silky bed.
There are always cheap and simple sites to search for. :cool:

Back