Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS 510 code problem - urgent!

A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
:help

I realise this reads slightly dubious, but I'm a bit at a loss of what to do next?

I bought my 2011 Cali in February with an RNS510 unit fitted. I assumed it was factory, but since found it had been a retro-fit by the PO

Having taken it into my local VW Van centre, they've had to reprogram it and do not have the code. I hadn't given this a thought, but apparently VW are refusing to release the code because they say the unit is of "questionable source"

What would be my best course of action (aside from contacting the PO to find out who fitted it, which I've done)

I should have hoped that VW van centre would have checked for the existence of the code prior to doing anything which may require the use of it (rather than relying on getting it from VW) Any suggestions welcome, the unit is currently dead :eek:

Andy

Contact the previous owner ASAP, hopefully it was not one from Ebay where most are stolen and re coded. I found out the hard way when the screen went blank on mine 10 days after purchase, took it to VW van centre and was told it had been reported stolen a year ago :shocked I ended up handing it in at local police station

Did you resolve it Andy? Be interesting to know how

All sorted on the end. VW service shocking tho!

Epilogue:

So the PO had it fitted at "hazzy dayz" / vwcruise.com & a quick call to them resulted in the code given; memorised, written down & tattooed on my forehead! They were very helpful & offered up info on where they sourced the unit etc

VW Bridgwater had (reluctantly) started to cave, when threatened with being reported, but they failed to see why they should have checked for the code before doing work that had rendered the unit useless. They happily washed their hands of it, leaving me with a non-operating unit! Add to the fact that they failed to sort the original problem (that required them to disconnect the battery) and suffice to say I won't be going back there! I thought old school dealers with bad customer service (& puffy coats) was a thing of the past?!