Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW RNS 510 failure

A

Andrew Southall

VIP Member
After a rather painful and expensive learning process, I have just exchanged my RNS 510 which failed after about 5 years of use. According to Hamid at Satnav Systems in Surbiton, Surrey, this happens to all the RNS 510's from July to September 2010. He wrote:

VW had issues with all RNS-510 units manufactured between July and September 2010. They ALL seem to fail These are all units with H41 /H42 and SW2720 just like yours. VW will not admit anything but did release a fix which only very people have. Unfortunately, if anyone tries to repair these units with any of the other usual 'fixes' they will brick it which is what I guess has happened to yours. Now, the only fix is to replace the motherboard which is not economically viable as you can buy a new one for less!

I should explain that I had previously sent the unit to BBA Reman in Rochester, who thus destroyed my otherwise fixable unit. (Insert array of unspecified expletives).

Satnav systems do all the repairs for VW in SW England, so I thought I would recommend them here, since you can cut out the middle man (VW!). Hamid was a proper gent to me and when I visited to do the exchange I was wowed by the racks of VW Sat Nav's - including the ones that had been destroyed by inexpert fix attempts! The price of the exchange unit was very competitive with other offers. (And do make sure you don't get swayed by the Chinese import lookalike RNS 510. They are not made by VW)

Andrew

Back