Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS 510 firmware update

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have had a lot of problems with the radio on our RNS510 so much so that recently it has been unusable. Wouldn't hold a station on DAB or FM for more than a few minutes. Already had both the head unit and aerials replaced under warranty without any improvement, if anything worse.
The van has been in for a service today and told them again about the radio. They have installed new firmware on the unit and so far its working well. Can now get loads of DAB stations and hold them whereas before it would only get the main BBC ones. FM also now seems to be working properly.
Trip to Silverstone at the weekend so Ill see how it goes over a longer distance.
So if you are having the same issues could well be worth getting the update.

We have had a lot of problems with the radio on our RNS510 so much so that recently it has been unusable. Wouldn't hold a station on DAB or FM for more than a few minutes. Already had both the head unit and aerials replaced under warranty without any improvement, if anything worse.
The van has been in for a service today and told them again about the radio. They have installed new firmware on the unit and so far its working well. Can now get loads of DAB stations and hold them whereas before it would only get the main BBC ones. FM also now seems to be working properly.
Trip to Silverstone at the weekend so Ill see how it goes over a longer distance.
So if you are having the same issues could well be worth getting the update.

Are these downloads available through VWs website?

"Look no hands"

I don't know. They never have been before. I have had four RNS 510 units in total, two in company Skodas, one in our Yeti and the Cali one. Only problems I have had have been the DAB unit in the Cali.
I have done firmware updates previously on the Skoda units with downloads from the web but there is a risk of knackering the unit so it's best to get it done by the dealer, especially as it's still under warranty, then it's their problem if it bricks it.
You also have to careful as different models of the RNS require the correct firmware. I do know that the latest firmware is not suitable for the earlier models.

I don't know. They never have been before. I have had four RNS 510 units in total, two in company Skodas, one in our Yeti and the Cali one. Only problems I have had have been the DAB unit in the Cali.
I have done firmware updates previously on the Skoda units with downloads from the web but there is a risk of knackering the unit so it's best to get it done by the dealer, especially as it's still under warranty, then it's their problem if it bricks it.
You also have to careful as different models of the RNS require the correct firmware. I do know that the latest firmware is not suitable for the earlier models.
Could you post up the Firmware version you have now got?
The Information is in the Setup Menu.

Screen shots here WG, is this different to yours?

I have SW-Version 6270 and HW-Version H23.

Have had perfect reception and no problems whatsoever across all media. No problems with Sat Nav either.

Hi WelshGas,

I have a 2015 VW California with the RNS 510 nav system. It's stuck in a loop trying to start-up, so I was hoping a firmware re-installation might solve the problem. There is a sticker on the unit that says it has HW = H23 and SW = 6270.

Do you know where I might be able to source the required firmware (and while I'm at it, the latest maps) ? Do you happen to have a CD with it on?

Thanks

Hi WelshGas,

I have a 2015 VW California with the RNS 510 nav system. It's stuck in a loop trying to start-up, so I was hoping a firmware re-installation might solve the problem. There is a sticker on the unit that says it has HW = H23 and SW = 6270.

Do you know where I might be able to source the required firmware (and while I'm at it, the latest maps) ? Do you happen to have a CD with it on?

Thanks
I wouldn’t advise attempting a firmware update if the unit is not functioning properly.

I would suggest contacting Hazzydayz , there are other companies maybe closer to you, who can repair and update the RNS510.

Hi WelshGas,

Thanks
You could try a forced Software Reset.

I used to be able to download firmware up dates but cannot find these anyone have a link for the rns-510

I used to be able to download firmware up dates but cannot find these anyone have a link for the rns-510
Not a download but a CD to update Firmware. No maps.
V17 is latest/last map update.