Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510.....Firmware 5238

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
A request for help if available & and an urgent WARNING to others on here.

As my factory fitted RNS510 fitted from new in 2010 has always been a little slow and clunky, I asked my VW dealer last week for a firmware update, they said they had no knowledge and referred me to the internet. I found details of 5238 which said it would work with any RNS510 from 2005 to 2013. It also said that it could cause battery drain on older vehicles prior to 2007, due to a conflict between the unit and the vehicle canbus.

My van is 2010 so I obtained a disc of 5238 & maps version 14, upgraded yesterday, all went well and the unit is now working faster & slicker.

This morning, about to set off to Silverstone for the WEC...flat battery. RAC called, original 2010 battery needs replacing so paid them to do that. However a power drain of approx 2.7amp recorded, which was zero after fuse removed from a turned off RNS510.

Any ideas, do I need to somehow return the RNS510 to its older firmware or can a resolution be made on the vans canbus software ?

Anyone else thinking of doing the upgrade, DONT......!

A request for help if available & and an urgent WARNING to others on here.

As my factory fitted RNS510 fitted from new in 2010 has always been a little slow and clunky, I asked my VW dealer last week for a firmware update, they said they had no knowledge and referred me to the internet. I found details of 5238 which said it would work with any RNS510 from 2005 to 2013. It also said that it could cause battery drain on older vehicles prior to 2007, due to a conflict between the unit and the vehicle canbus.

My van is 2010 so I obtained a disc of 5238 & maps version 14, upgraded yesterday, all went well and the unit is now working faster & slicker.

This morning, about to set off to Silverstone for the WEC...flat battery. RAC called, original 2010 battery needs replacing so paid them to do that. However a power drain of approx 2.7amp recorded, which was zero after fuse removed from a turned off RNS510.

Any ideas, do I need to somehow return the RNS510 to its older firmware or can a resolution be made on the vans canbus software ?

Anyone else thinking of doing the upgrade, DONT......!
This might solve the problem.
http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/rns-510-rcd-510-rns-315-can-box-adapter-for-battery-drain-issue

However I am inclined to phone the experts - Absolut5
http://absolut5.co.uk
Very helpful people.

Bernd. Don't know if this will help but have a look at the next thread down.
There is screenshot of our RNS details and as you can see the version you have is still fairly old.
As said in the thread though updating the firmware can cause problems.

31bf759fef678e9621fb272f29301ae3.jpg

Hopefully these guys will sort my bugs out tomorrow, prior to the van going across channel.

31bf759fef678e9621fb272f29301ae3.jpg

Hopefully these guys will sort my bugs out tomorrow, prior to the van going across channel.
Are they fitting a reversing camera as well?

Are they fitting a reversing camera as well?
They seem pretty sure how to resolve my issues, WG, many thanks for the links you posted re possible help from firms.

Am going to ask them re the reverse camera, if I have wiring already in the van, it may reduce the price they quote to include all the wiring.

Do you have one ?

Then hopefully cross channel tomorrow night if all goes well.

They seem pretty sure how to resolve my issues, WG, many thanks for the links you posted re possible help from firms.

Am going to ask them re the reverse camera, if I have wiring already in the van, it may reduce the price they quote to include all the wiring.

Do you have one ?

Then hopefully cross channel tomorrow night if all goes well.
Wouldn't be without it. Saves me curbing my rear wheel when reversing out of the drive and very useful with my tow bar bicycle rack.
Hope they sort you out. I'm off next week for Tromso.

Wouldn't be without it. Saves me curbing my rear wheel when reversing out of the drive and very useful with my tow bar bicycle rack.
Hope they sort you out. I'm off next week for Tromso.
Thanks, you have a good trip planned.

Me, France tomorrow eve (hopefully) sleep at Gravelines, and then 3 weeks of vagrant/hobo life, Ha Ha, taking in races at Hockenheim, Barcelona & Porto, then down to Alcoutim where I base the van.

Thanks, you have a good trip planned.

Me, France tomorrow eve (hopefully) sleep at Gravelines, and then 3 weeks of vagrant/hobo life, Ha Ha, taking in races at Hockenheim, Barcelona & Porto, then down to Alcoutim where I base the van.
Hope it's warmer for you. Tromso is +3 to -2 c over the next 10 days.

Well, I can now say that updating to 5238 is safe. Plus it offers full postcode input and others options, plus appears more stable and faster.

The root of my problems was the RAC misleading me. I knew my original 7 year old battery was past it's best, it appears that the 2/3 hours it took me to load the 5238 & maps ran the battery down. RAC man carried out a power drain test and said it was losing well over 2 amps, however he should have waited about 15 mins for everything in the van to fully close down.

That's what Hazzydayz have done and the drain came down to 0.02 of an amp, which they say is normal.

Relief...

Last moment booking on aferry site, now approaching Calais. Onto Gravelines to park for the night.

58c320300cec3b44c4f9fc7186c2d182.jpg

Hi BerndRos, glad to hear you got your issue solved, did they manage to help you in regards to the reverse camera? Enjoy your travels.
Gary

Hi BerndRos, glad to hear you got your issue solved, did they manage to help you in regards to the reverse camera? Enjoy your travels.
Gary
They could not fit the reverse camera today, no cables laid in van from new and a fiddly job to retrofit, takes 5 hours. £795 inc. Will have done next year when van makes its annual pilgrimage to UK.

At Gravelines aire now with a 'Sav Blanc'

Tomorrow via WW1 battlefields and then sleep the night at the Spa circuit. Thurs, drop in on Nurburgring, prior to stopping off at the sight of Bernd Rosemeyer, speed attempt 1938 crash site south of Frankfurt on autobahn, pay respects to my alter ego. Then to Hockenheim DTM/RallyX for the weekend.

Just updated my RNS510 to firmware 5238 and Western Europe V16 maps. I got the Cd and dvd from eBay for £15 but the radio couldn't read them fully so copied the Cd firmware onto another Cd which worked fine and then moved the new maps from the DVD DL onto an SD card using Map Tools and all went fine! :)