Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 ..... Year 2010

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does any one know how I find out what firmware my unit has.....and how I would go about upgrading it to the latest version.

Would there be any benefits to upgrading and any downsides...?

In 2010 I also had the MDI & Bluetooth fitted....would these be affected by any upgrade to the firmware..?

Thanks

An upgrade got rid of some minor 'bugs' for me (such as the initially displayed Aircon temperature occasionally being incorrect when it popped up on the display)

I did need to recode the car afterwards with VCDS as it reset the Bluetooth and mdi but others managed the upgrade without that issue.

Hopefully Stu will be along to tell you where you get the firmware...

Perhaps something to do at COTF? I'll certainly bring my VCDS lead along...

Simon

If you hold down the Setup button another so called secret menu appears.
You can see from here what firmware version you have and which map version.
I upgraded both maps and firmware without any problems in my old 09 Skoda Octavia but I have heard that it can sometimes brick the unit, not known this happen myself though and colleagues at work also had no problems.
There are different versions of the 510 unit and I believe it's not possible to upgrade the older units to the latest firmware, 3810 or 3820 seems to be OK though. Do a Google search for it and usually something will come up, try here for starters
http://www.rnsfirmware.com/rns510-firmw ... its-3810a/
Once downloaded you need to write the iso file to a DVD to load it onto the RNS. Bit scary the first time as it took ages on my unit and I got worried it was going to wreck it.
If you can't find it or the maps I think I may have a copy somewhere.
Hope this helps
BTW I didn't have to do any recoding after upgrading

I upgraded to the later FW which add things such as radio text and as above makes things a little slicker. I also had to recode after the update as it returns everything to a factory level.

Not every FW update I have ever done did require a recode though.

Back