Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rns510 upgrade

oakgreen

oakgreen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Looking for advice on upgrading rns510 head unit fitted to a 2014 beach. It has recently failed to accept cds and dvds and as it has always seemed a bit slow and outdated rather than get it repaired I am considering upgrading to something more modern which still looks factory fitted.

I have the following factory fitted options which make use of the rns510 so any replacement would have to work with these ideally.

1. Enhanced Bluetooth
2. 3 zone climate control
3. Reverse camera
4. Front and rear parking sensors
5. Multi function steering wheel

I would also like to be able to play dvds and to be able to update the sat bag maps etc.... apple CarPlay would be good as well.

Is there a head unit out there that people can recommend that can do all of this or would I be best off repairing what I currently have and putting up with the sluggish performance?

Just ordered a Kenwood DNX518VDAB to replace my RNS510. £840 plus vat installed, local fitter.. All the features that you (and me ) require.. Informed choice is limited when requiring existing display/heater/seats/proximity on a T5.. Much more choice on a T6 I believe.. he ain't a kenwood fan but no choice and believes it might be better than the previous kenwoods? I dont have steering wheel buttons to worry about..

Thanks for the recommendation, it would be good to hear how you find it compared to the RNS510 once fitted and if all the features work as expected.

You are right that the choice seems slightly limited compared to T6 which uses the same style of head unit as modern VW cars which I find perfectly acceptable..... I take it that a T6 unit can’t be fitted to a T5?

I had the kenwood dnx518vdabs fitted a few weeks ago.
Parking sensors work perfectly.
You get 3 free map upgrades using the SD card slot and 2 years free traffic.
Apple car play included, along with webplay which allows you to play YouTube videos (not sure I’ll use that).
738c98325a6dec50bfcda4e4df343bae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really good, so far it seems to be the best option, anyone know of any good installers in the north west? Also notice that there is an option to use a kenwood dashcam, does anyone have this option fitted and if so is it worth adding?

Some info here.

Not sure there is actually any other option ss covering what you want other than the 518, which gets mixed reviews to say the least. One issue seems to be that if the sun is out, you basically can't see the screen. Search the T6 forum for 518, or this one for more info.

Looks really good, so far it seems to be the best option, anyone know of any good installers in the north west? Also notice that there is an option to use a kenwood dashcam, does anyone have this option fitted and if so is it worth adding?

I had mine fitted by Boundary car care in St. Helens.
Where you based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm researching for a replacement unit too.

Our RNS510 has given up the ghost, VW aren't interested despite this appearing to be a common issue.

I'm looking at an Alpine iLX F903D as a replacement.

About £640 plus fitting.