Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bed cover

top3b

top3b

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Does anyone use the external rain or winter cover for the roof bed?
Are they useful?
Regards from Italy

We use a Mütze... Always have it on, wet or dry.

In my opinion, essential for camping in wet weather, stops you having to put wet bellows down onto the bed.

Lot's of other options out there.

Rgds
Mark

Hi top3 b,
If you mean using a outside cover over the elevating roof , try and use the "search function" on this forum , just type : topper or roof cover ....
Much info here
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-toppers.7766/page-2#post-72145

I have one from Comfortz , sponsor on this forum and used it a few times , like it , fits nice.

See your from Italy , don't know if there any dealers overthere , so best buy online

Just in case you should buy one , beware there is a diffrence between the roof of a Beach and a SE .....see in your underwrithing you own a beach!
So always order a topper for a beach model specific!

Thank you, I read in the forum about the "iso-top", i saw one with three windows, can it fit with a Cali Beach?

Or is there a special version for the our van that i didn't find?
Regards

I start my search with an external one, but reading in the forum i realized that should be better to use both, at least always the internal, is that correct, isn't it?

In the Alps with or without rain or snow showers?
My main doubt is related with the mounting time, if it's raining or other weather event like this is happening, how can you avoid to wet the canvas before ending?
So, I appeal to all those who use external topper, in the above mentioned conditions, what's the best solution?
Regards

The external takes 5 minutes to put on so the roof canvas is not gonna get very wet but yourself ...
Standing in the rain putting it on.
Also keep in mind taking it off , in the rain... And putting it in you Cali ...wet!
All things you need to consider....
But main thing , the outside roof topper helps to keep the warmt inside and the wet and damp outside....
It is all pro's against con's.
The internal needs to fit one time and stays in ,
Keeps more warmt in but in very wet conditions it does not do the same thing as a roof cover.
You could go for the two, i would start with a roof topper ( outside ) and see ....

Last edited:
Just fitted our Calitop today. Arrived quickly from Dierk Schroder in Kiel. Love the fact that it has separate panels (we got four), and that you can use the side panels inside or outside the bellows (and leave them on if you fit inside). It was a little scary marine-sealant gluing the hooks and bits onto the rising roof of our three-month-old Beach, but they seem unobtrusive when on.

Dierk only has instructions in German, but we managed to get a German friend to help us work things out. I can share that if anyone else ends up in the same position!

None of these toppers are cheap. There's a slightly diy-feel to the Calitop - not the panels, but the various bits and pieces it comes with. I think our only real problem, though, was with some of the elasticated loops which have been fashioned into loops using a cut-off cable tie. One of these snapped on first fitting. To be honest, though, once you see how it's supposed to work, you can easily find something a little better for these.

It hasn't yet been tested in rain or wind, so we'll report back. Meanwhile, it's light and easy to stow and a doddle to fit the panels.

Back