Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof canvas coming away from roof

Thanks @Phillip T - I gave this a go today and it worked a treat. I managed to persuade the rubber into the slot without using any lubricant - with the hot weather the rubber had a bit of give. To do the job, I closed the roof slightly, so the canvas was a bit slack (couldn’t do it with the roof fully up). I prodded the rubber in from the outside with the cycle tyre lever, and then from inside the roof to get it fully in. The result is that there’s about 1mm of the thinner section of the seal showing at the corner when fully up, this is just the same as the offside corner. I’ve had the roof up and down a few times and it’s holding okay. I expect the real test will be when it’s colder and the rubber stiffens.

On this basis I’ve cancelled the booking at the Sheffield van centre, but if it happens again they’ve said to rebook. It’ll save me 2 round trips to Sheffield (160 miles = 18 litres!).

I’ll add some before and after photos.

View attachment 96171View attachment 96169View attachment 96170
Exactly what we have on our t6.1 july 2022, managed to,push it back in place. Maybe because the high outside temperature of more than 30 deg c rubber is very soft.

To save starting a new thread… the canvas bellows has started to come away from the roof on our MY 6.1 Ocean. Around 150mm gap with the rubber edge seal coming away from its slot. This is on the nearside rear corner, which is off as there appears to be little stress on the canvas.

Anyway, I don’t fancy trying to poke it back in, so it’s booked in to be looked at by the Sheffield Van Centre in 2 weeks. Quite impressed- they’re doing overnight work to deal with the demand.

Will let people know how it resolves.
Our 6.1 Coast is off to Sheffield at the end of the month for this very problem (among others) to be fixed. Just back from a scorching hot 2 weeks in Cornwall and the bellows had started to let go on all corners by the end of it.

Tech said they needed to order in some special glue from VW to make the repair stick.

Please can anyone from this post tell me what make/type of glue have worked long term please? Does anyone know what VW uses and for DIY if sikaflex, which type (there seem to be a few). Also any tips on how to apply glue? Many thanks.

Please can anyone from this post tell me what make/type of glue have worked long term please? Does anyone know what VW uses and for DIY if sikaflex, which type (there seem to be a few). Also any tips on how to apply glue? Many thanks.
Have a look at this thread How to step by step with photos

use Google translate (copy the url and drop it into Google search bar, the website will then allow translatio from German to English)

lists part numbers etc, hope it helps

uk supplier : vw part

Sika website : (the suggested product on the German site)

edit: extracts from website :

00DD8625-F1FE-4D2F-9CD0-412838534C7E.png

10265615-3CAD-417F-A7D6-261A6FBB5488.png

Last edited:
During 1 year use, between 50 and 100 times raising the roof had to push it back on 1 corner 2 times. No glue for me. T6.1 2022.

Thank you Perfectos for such a useful reply. I had started another thread on a diy fix before I found this one. I wonder if admin can merge the 2 please? I haven't been as lucky as you Roger but before I try the glue, I might try sticking some tape on the inner edge of the roof channel, to increase friction (a welshgas suggestion).

Fixed ours 12 months ago. No glue and it hasn’t come out since. Check nearly every time it goes up.

Fixed ours 12 months ago. No glue and it hasn’t come out since. Check nearly every time it goes up.
Thanks for reply. Fixed? You mean simply pushed it back? Hasn't worked with mine unfortunately.

Thanks for reply. Fixed? You mean simply pushed it back? Hasn't worked with mine unfortunately.
Yes - applied some lubricant and push it ( on a hot day when the plastic / neoprene was flexible and it’s stayed put. I do keep checking just in case.