Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Canvas roof replacement

Hi Karen, Yes I do!

Can you check with forum admin whether you can send PM's? I don't seem to be able to PM you either!

Hi Cuba. Could you email me the details please.
kjhart8@+++++.com. Thank you

Nick is the person to talk to, he replaced his a few years back
0b1d949400b899f59fec2628ba72e129.jpg
dfee9b916c1b6942167653b4a2f245a2.jpg
Hi Martin, who is Nick and can you elaborate or link to the post please. I’m struggling to find details

Hi @ArunAlec and @WelshGas. I've been digging through the threads and it appears that you both have had a lot of success with Surf Keys off eBay. I've tried the links you've provided in various links but they no longer seem active. I have found "vdubkeys" on eBay who seems to be offering the same service but only seems to cater to T4 and T5's. However he does mention HAA key types which is the same as mine. I've sent a message to find out if he can help me. The one thing that I don't understand is how is the key cut? Thanks very much
The eBay seller I used is still on eBay. Search for “telecommann”.

Hi @ArunAlec and @WelshGas. I've been digging through the threads and it appears that you both have had a lot of success with Surf Keys off eBay. I've tried the links you've provided in various links but they no longer seem active. I have found "vdubkeys" on eBay who seems to be offering the same service but only seems to cater to T4 and T5's. However he does mention HAA key types which is the same as mine. I've sent a message to find out if he can help me. The one thing that I don't understand is how is the key cut? Thanks very much
They use your key number or a photo of your key to identify the key number.
The locks on the vehicles may look simple . It’s the electronics in the key which are important.
Although the key/lock looks simple it’s difficult to overcome /pick unlike a lever lock.

Last edited:
Hi @ArunAlec and @WelshGas. Got the keys this morning and they work fine, great news. When I opened the door using the surf key the alarm went off. I pressed the fob and the alarm went off. Tried it again and the alarm didn't go off. Any thoughts?
A couple of questions if you don't mind?
The first scenario I can foresee is we lock the keys in the van and open the door with the surf key. The alarm goes off, I get to the keys and press the fob and the alarm stops. The second scenario is my wife looses the keys (I wouldn't), we open the door with the surf key and the alarm rattles on for hours. Will the alarm only sound for a specific amount of time, will it stop once the door is closed or will something else happen? Many thanks
The alarm will reset once the door is shut. They are not allowed to sound continuously , they are timed. Of course, if re-triggered it will sound again for a set time.

How did you re-lock the door to try again, and how quickly did you re-open the door. I think there is a time delay before the alarm sets itself to allow the internal environment to settle down.

Have you tried using the original key rather than the surf key or remote? I would have thought that the key/lock should override the alarm. I might have go and try mine now!.......
Update! ...... using normal key to open drivers door rather than remote, the alarm goes off.

Last edited:
Yes. I tried the original VW key and the alarm sounded as well.
Looked in the handbook..... last place I check!
if the door is opened with a key you have 15 seconds to get a key in the ignition.

Just tried it.
Used the surf key, alarm sounded, put the surf key in the ignition and the alarm continues to sound.
Used the VW key, alarm sounded, put the VW key in the ignition and the alarm stopped.
So, it seems that the surf key is great for opening the van when you've locked the VW keys inside (which is the reason I got a surf key) but not sure what will happen if you've lost your VW keys and have nothing to stop the alarm sounding. At least you'll have access to the van although the rest of the campsite might not be happy about the alarm going off until the battleground flat.
Don’t loose the Original key.:thumb

Easily done. Worth getting cheap key cut, put it in a magnetic key box and stash it at a place of your choosing, under your van above the plastic under shields. Won't start your van, as its not got a chip, won't stop your alarm going off if the alarm is set on the remote ... but if you're outside your van, and can see your keys and remote inside you're van, will negate all the unseemly bad language ...
I learned the hard way to ALWAYS have the key in my pocket when exiting the van. Stuck in a pub car park in a fairly remote Shropshire village that was inundated with traffic because of a road closure on the main road, meaning that the breakdown vehicle took at least a couple of hours to get there!
But hey, it was a sunny day, we were right outside a great pub and the locals were friendly, si wasn't all bad.
Took the breakdown guy about 5 mins to use his magic inflatable bags on the drivers door and grab the keys out of the ignition.

This is why my Uniqlo shorts with zip pockets are my favourites for camping holidays.

To be honest I’m not that hung up about locking the van either. I lock it when we go to bed but often when we’re just knocking around the site I leave it shut but unlocked. I assume thieves will think someone’s inside and that most sites we stay at don’t have a lot of thieves on them.

So far had one tea light jar pinched.

Back