Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof corrosion - consequences?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
Hi there. Sorry I pick up this topic again. I read that the well known "roof corrosion" problem is only corrosion, so not a "structural problem". What would happen if it is not fixed?

(I start a claim this week, but the mechanic told me there's a big chance it will be covered)

Thank you! - Bart

It is not corrosion per say, it is bubbling of the paint due to a galvanic reaction between the aluminium RBC & steel roof aperture.

If not repaired it may spread & look a mess, possibly the paint may crack & flake off.

Cosmetic. As above.

Just bought a 3rd hand 2016 Beach, I've just noticed this bubbling on the top left hand corner of the aluminium pop top. Is it something to worry about?
1000024532.jpg

Just bought a 3rd hand 2016 Beach, I've just noticed this bubbling on the top left hand corner of the aluminium pop top. Is it something to worry about?
View attachment 122691
There is a documented VW Workshop Recall for ALL Californias from 2010 to 2017/18 to remove the ELEVATING roof section rubber seal, repair any Galvanic Corrosion, fit a clear tape on the roof edge and replace the seal if damaged.
Has yours been done?

There is a documented VW Workshop Recall for ALL Californias from 2010 to 2017/18 to remove the ELEVATING roof section rubber seal, repair any Galvanic Corrosion, fit a clear tape on the roof edge and replace the seal if damaged.
Has yours been done?
I'm not sure, how would I find out?

Ask the dealer who serviced the van. If it hasn't already been done under recall, you should be on the waiting list.

The waiting list never moves as no authorised garages are willing to carry out the repair on behalf of VW anymore. We were on the list for 4 years but have since sold the van.

Ask the dealer who serviced the van. If it hasn't already been done under recall, you should be on the waiting list.

The waiting list never moves as no authorised garages are willing to carry out the repair on behalf of VW anymore. We were on the list for 4 years but have since sold the van.
Not the same thing I’m afraid.
Nothing to do with the panel above windscreen.

All Californias from 2010 to 2017/18 are covered. The Dealership normally does it during a service.

1. Contact your VW Dealership. They can check via Reg Number or VIN if it has been done,

2. Easier still, gently pull the edge seal down and if there is clear plastic tape underneath, it’s been done. If not then contact Dealer to book in.

Back