Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof canvas repair. Rip in canvas and dent in roof. Advise please.

Bungee and no wind...
That is not a good testament to the design of the VW bellows is it.
I assume that windows or doors were also open?

It can happen. Knowing that is probably the best insurance that you can have.

You are folding in a lot of canvas, at the same time displacing a lot of air. It is just one of those compromises that exist with a pop up roof on any vehicle. I know someone with a manual pop-up roof that managed to trap the canvas and damage one of the arms. For me at least it was no big deal. It has not affected the vehicles serviceability, the main damage was to my smug pride, and it was about 150 roof lowers ago since it happened so I am now just a bit more careful.

It can happen. Knowing that is probably the best insurance that you can have.

So it would seem.
That and never taking the chance that all is well without stopping and peeking if you have no extra eyes on the task.

So it would seem.
That and never taking the chance that all is well without stopping and peeking if you have no extra eyes on the task.

In any case the walk-round vehicle check should be a matter of course. I used to do it prior to lift-off, but now do it mid roof lower. Walk round, check canvas folding in ok, the hook-up disconnected and stowed, rear tailgate closed, no buckets, boxes or other items under the vehicle, the pesky flap that covers up the hook-up inlet is clicked closed and the fuel filler door is properly closed.

Then complete roof lower.

… the pesky flap that covers up the hook-up inlet is clicked closed

HAHAHA … I can get totally annoyed when I discover it flapping up and down in the rear mirror - I need to stop and click it in place. (I know – there is a diagnosis for that). I would love the little flap to be magnetic engaged to the frame.

In any case the walk-round vehicle check should be a matter of course. I used to do it prior to lift-off, but now do it mid roof lower. Walk round, check canvas folding in ok, the hook-up disconnected and stowed,

Then complete roof lower.
I entirely agree with you we go through the same procedure. If on own lower halfway walk around with my walkers stick and check the canvas is folding ok.

Back