Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof entry pull across blind opening itself

You'll need to pull the blind out of its hole completely when the bed is raised.
Basically the sections of the blind run out of alignment on the sides causing it to jam.
Once you've got it out tap them back into alignment and put the blind back in. Its a 5 minute fix.
Ours used to drive me mad but has been fine since i did this.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
This weekend, after 8 years of having this problem, it got really jammed. Once I got it slid back under the bed I attacked the side runners with silicone spray it now opens and shuts with ease, so much so that the other old chestnut of a problem, the roof blind opening on its own whilst driving, is now worse than it ever was. I’ve just envisaged a possible dangerous scenario. The roof blind opens fully without driver noticing and all of a sudden driver is blinded by bellows canvas dropping down in front of drivers eyes. !

Seems like the only thing to do is devise a discreet locking catch to hold the hatch door closed
I use some sticky pads to make a tighter fit in the runners (all trial and error)

Alan

Anyone know why my lamell roof is opening when driving? See attached photo.

I have been a happy Cali owner in one month and today I picked up new winter tires. The winter in western Norway is wet with both snow and ice.

F02617FA-CD0C-49F5-93AE-7A6D719644AB.jpeg

I have had that happen also, but found out that I wasn't closing until the catch caught.

Changed my felt as well but it happens all the time and just sort of got use to it.

Just stick something in between the shutter & the ceiling/bed, end of problem.

No cutting or drilling for me.
Just put on some longer felt tape and extra on the blind itself.

IMG_20190831_214315.jpg
IMG_20190831_214342.jpg

Doesn't move anymore, except when I pull it.
Even on the fanstastic French small D roads.
Now there is so much friction it won't move of itself anymore.

Sorry I have not read all of the thread but I just wonder has anyone tried using Velcro in the groove of fixed roof and on the edge to the moving hatch. See photos. Velcro is in places that are blue.
1571680100550.png

Sorry I have not read all of the thread but I just wonder has anyone tried using Velcro in the groove of fixed roof and on the edge to the moving hatch. See photos. Velcro is in places that are blue.
View attachment 51704
I think if you put that much velcro on you won't be able to open it.
I have some on but vertically, about 2cm wide.

Had this problem for a couple of years.
Built the worn down catch up with superglue
This fix lasted perfectly for a couple of months.
Howqever
The problem disappeared when I put a Brandrup Iso-Top Mk 1 inside the bellows.
The extra bulk above the sliding hatch when the roof wsa down stopped it sliding, totally.

One view is that it's an expensive fix.
Another is that it's zero cost rated, free as added value.

I have been using velcro to reduce this problem for nearly 10 years now on my 2013 T5.
But the adhesive on the back of the velcro tends to come unstuck in hot weather & the velcro needs replacing every couple of years...

I can live with this, but just wonder if anybody has found a better solution by now?

Thanks!

Well if the velcro lasts a couple of years, I think you've found a pretty good long-term solution!