Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof entry pull across blind opening itself

Mine has a clip and makes a definite click.

Either that or I've broke it shoving it closed too hard :oops:

or newer - maybe that's the thing.

GrannyJen said:
Mine has a clip and makes a definite click.

Either that or I've broke it shoving it closed too hard :oops:

Speaking of this possibility, did anyone find any damage to the plastic trim where the sliding door makes contact as it is closed? I think I am not alone in finding that some unavoidable force is needed to pull the door into the closed position. In doing so, there is the inevitable contact with the plastic trim along the front of the door.

Comments welcome from anyone who has found damage in this area as a result (pictures attached).

My bellows were replaced during the dreaded blistering paint repair (here in Germany) and I expect that the roof lining and plastic trim parts in this area might have been affected by this extensive work. So another possible cause could be that the trim was not refitted correctly, therefore exposing the part to a greater impact when the sliding door is closed. Difficult to say, but the dealer in Germany stated it might be under warranty, but maybe not. Since there is a cost of €400! to fix it, I think some glue and tape might be a more realistic solution to fix the damage caused.

Cracks.JPG Cracks2.JPG

Finally got round to doing something
About my creeping blind.

20140624_104306.jpg 20140624_104319.jpg

Now that's neat!

But I have to say I've forgotten about the problem since just putting a little rolled-up bit of rubber in between the shutter and the edge of the ceiling - just need to remember to take it out before I want to push the shutter back.

Early days but velcro method ' working a treat ', at the moment.

Not all dealers are the same, so take it to an experienced dealer and have them check it out. This is a common fault on calis and reported previously on this forum. Search on here and you may find some answers. They replaced the small plastic 'latch' on mine and although it's a lot better, it's still not entirely fixed the problem. Personally I think it's a design fault, and VW could have improved this anpect of the design.
SMG are a good dealer and upto date on common Cali issues (assuming you are geographically close of course....)
Good luck with sorting your issue..

My roof blind opens on its own as well. Doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it! Almost relieved that I'm not alone with this fault. Thanks for posting solutions which I will experiment with next weekend on a long drive.

Not sure if I have the velcro trick quite right....can anyone help please? Photo attached hopefully if my phone has handled the upload!

20141004_160302-1_resized.jpg

Mine has a small length on either side of the track about 2/3 along, this is on a warranty replacement.

Thanks Andy I had the wrong end of the stick! I understand now. Kind of you to reply. :thanks

Be careful when or if you slam shut the sliding hatch as it's possible to damage the bellows if not clear away from the final closure routine!
I always run my fingers under the canvas to make sure there's clearance before finally closing the hatch

Alan

Hi all. I've never posted on here before but various issues with my Cali have prompted me too. I met many of you at the Cali meet last year in Gloucester and you were all very friendly and helpful!

We've had numerous issues with our dealer charging extraordinary amounts for broken parts. Vw seem to have a policy of replace rather than repair-all very costly.

Our roof blind slides back during transit. Vw's 'fix' caused it to get stuck. Their solution is to put two bits of adhesive-backed felt in the side running tracks. Not a sanctioned repair but apparently effective (no, it hasn't worked). Vw assure me that it's a fault on all Cali blinds, furthermore they let me open and close a couple of showroom models-both as stiff as mine and apparently prone to opening! How can a new £50k vehicle have such a fault??

We had to have our control panel replaced (no chance of repair but I guess that moan belongs in a new thread...

Well, just thought the felt solution might be worth trying...

Mark

Ive used friction tape from Lidl...... 2 small bits on the uphill bit of the ramp, one either side.... no problems since... cost £0.30 (and a whole roll left over pretty much...).

Any tips on how to stop the pop top hatch sliding cover slowly sliding/rattling open as you drive? Have we got a dodgy latch or is this a common problem?

Thank you!

Any tips on how to stop the pop top hatch sliding cover slowly sliding/rattling open as you drive? Have we got a dodgy latch or is this a common problem?

Thank you!

Yep, that's a classic. Me I put some clamps:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-3#post-289100
Also, I store my front ventilation grids in the net above the cover (after closing the roof), which makes that the shutter is more squeezed.
A small strip of rubber at the front frame is also helping.

Closing that hatch comes as second nature after a while.

Mirror, signal, manoeuvre, check the hatch every hour......

However, i´m riding on my new winters and i chose nokian 102 load rating
instead of the 107/109 T that i normally have.

The non transporter tyres are like riding on a magic carpet :)
far fewer rattles and the hatch hasn´t opened.
Even on the A28 from ashford to canterbury, which is far from
being a smooth road.

That’s funny this cropped up as I was about to search to see whether it’s normal that our shutter now slowly creeps open. Hadn’t noticed it before.

These days we just stick a silicone spoon in between the closed shutter & the 'ceiling'. It works fine