Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof hydraulic protection.

B

Bowen

Hi there.
I have a query hopefully someone can help with !
We have a 2011 California and yesterday I noticed the flashing symbol bottom right on the control panel which advises the roof hydraulic protection system had been activated.
The outside temperature was 18-19 degrees C and the van had been in direct sunlight for some time.
Does anyone know at what temp it is activated ? and does this seem normal ?
Many thanks for any advice.
David

Hi there.
We have a 2011 California and yesterday I noticed the flashing symbol bottom right on the control panel which advises the roof hydraulic protection system had been activated.
The outside temperature was 18-19 degrees C and the van had been in direct sunlight for some time.
David
Photo of the flashing symbol? Never come across this one before!

It is the same symbol you get when the roof is open but blinking.

Hi there.
David
I think this happened to me and forum advice was to turn off the control panel and turn it back on again. That cleared it.
Not a reset, just off and on. Basically IT Crowd style!!

@Bowen any update to the problem?

Hi there -yes an update.
The flashing roof open symbol disappeared for two weeks only to appear again yesterday with code 1000.
Then last night it disappeared again spontaneously. There must be some fault and am thinking about converting to manual like Smalls74 did.No doubt for VW to find the fault and replace wiring loom and sensors with be the other side of£1000.
Am thinking the manual conversion though about three times the price may workout in the long term more reliable.

Hi there -yes an update.
The flashing roof open symbol disappeared for two weeks only to appear again yesterday with code 1000.
Then last night it disappeared again spontaneously. There must be some fault and am thinking about converting to manual like Smalls74 did.No doubt for VW to find the fault and replace wiring loom and sensors with be the other side of£1000.
Am thinking the manual conversion though about three times the price may workout in the long term more reliable.
How long have you had your van?

We have had it for 9.5 years -its a 2011 van.
We have had the roof corrosion issue treated by VW in 2017.

So, 11 yrs old. Replacing sensors and loom by VW £1500, or just sensors £300, for another 11 yrs probably. With a 22 Yr old van before it goes again.
Or £3000 for a manual roof.
After 22 yrs I think there could be a few more things that have gone wrong or require a repair.

Good point.
However we may be moving to a hot location at some time in the future where there is no VW van agent so any camping related issues would require sending the van on a ferry to the nearest agent -in Sicily so am keen to keep the van as reliable as possible!

An update.
The loom/sensors were replaced and the blinking symbol has gone and the roof works-great.
But we now have a water leak from above the driver's door widow into the headlining and water in the drivers footwell -can anyone come up with a diagnosis- drainage tubes either blocked or disconnected but cannot see how either scenario allows water to be in both places?
We have had the van 11 years and even with some massive downpours which overwhelmed our road drains never any water ingress issues.

An update.
The loom/sensors were replaced and the blinking symbol has gone and the roof works-great.
But we now have a water leak from above the driver's door widow into the headlining and water in the drivers footwell -can anyone come up with a diagnosis- drainage tubes either blocked or disconnected but cannot see how either scenario allows water to be in both places?
We have had the van 11 years and even with some massive downpours which overwhelmed our road drains never any water ingress issues.
It sounds as if the sealant around the Drivers Roof drain is in complete. The wiring loom also passes through the same area. If the sealant is incomplete water will drain onto head lining and into the A pillar hence to the floor on the Drivers side.

I see will check that -also the interior A pillar trim is not refitted correctly and is a cm or two displaced medially to the centre of the van.

I see will check that -also the interior A pillar trim is not refitted correctly and is a cm or two displaced medially to the centre of the van.
Probably removed to fit the wiring loom.

Back